Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almond_gw

removing PB blaster oil from iron

almond
13 years ago

I have an unusual situation, can't find any info on it as it has probably never happened!

I foolishly lent an iron pot to a neighbour to wire brush it as it was covered in rust. He discovered what he thought was a crease in the iron on the bottom but just in case it was a crack he sprayed PB blaster oil to see if it would come out the other side! Naturally it smells like a garage in the pot now and i would like to get it out in order to use the pot for something like food for which it was intended.

First he told me that he didn't think it was safe to cook in because of the fine crack, but if i wanted to try he could 'get rid of the oil' Then moments later when i went inside told my husband that it could never be removed! I'm clearly not going to take his advice either way.

I would assume that being as it is oil based it would dissipate into some other more food worthy oil and this might make it easier to clean off with soap and water. However iron is porous and it has no doubt seeped deep inside. This happened yesterday evening, so it's had all night to soak in.

I did rinse off the surface with soap because it smelled so horrible and i couldn't leave it outside in case a dog or other animal licked it.

Not sure if it will ever be food safe again but at least i will try, and maybe it can still be used for something else if i can get it to stop reeking.

My father is a metal worker but i am waiting for a reply from him, and it's always good to hear other opinions. I look forward to your ideas!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner