Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite dusting spray or oil?

Posted by bookert (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 14:40

I found that using Pledge seems to attract dust, so I thought you might be able to help.
Yes, I do use microfiber cloths, but clean for a lady who wants some shine.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite dusting spray or oil?

None. I dust with a lambs-wool duster. Sprays and polish are just one more unnecessary expense and another toxin you are breathing and adding to the air. Check the chemical analysis of these items. Many are also harmful to furniture finishes. It sounds like your "shine" may have suffered the effects of the products you've used.

You'll find professional refinishers use wax on fine furniture and give the surface a good buffing with a soft cotton cloth (terry cloth or diaper). The higher the gloss you want, the softer the cloth you need to use.

-Grainlady

o

None here. Slightly dampen my hands and wipe the moistue evenly on my dust cloth.

o

I tell anyone who cleans for me not to use any cleaning sprays on my furniture!
Linda C

o

No dusting sprays or oils at our house, either. Just a very slightly damp cloth and a dry one to use for the final wipe.

o

I spray Endust on an old cloth diaper to dust. Without spray, I feel like I am just moving the dust around.

o

I love this website. I just finished having my bathroom done over and the slob of a contractor let construction dust go all over my house. For this time only, I would love to know about a good dust attracter or whether people have had success with an "electromagnetic duster" or if they are just more hype. Thanks all.

o

Just what I needed to hear. I usually use microfiber towels, but my mind has a hard time grasping the fact that I'm not using any "product"! =)
It's sort of a smell thing too I suppose, we think something isn't clean unless we're dizzy from fumes!! Ha! (not funny, I know, but true for alot of us)

o

I never use sprays or oil. Just a damp cloth or a lambswool duster. The new microfiber cloths are great.

o

Just a word to the wise regarding spray oils. A cousin used the spray orange oil cleaning all the cupboards and a week later was hospitalized, she couldn't breath. After a week they discovered she had breathed in the oil, took months for her to recover. I have also heard of young children dying from getting a hold of baby oil and getting it in their lungs. Please use precaution with spray oils.

o

When we bought our new dining room table, the saleslady said just to wipe it with a damp cloth to clean. She said the fastest way to ruin a finish is with cleaners like Pledge. If we "had" to use something, a very small amount of wax (some from Howards).

This was at the Amish Furniture store where we lived (nowhere near Amish country, just the furniture...)

Since then, I've just been using a lightly dampened flannel rag (flannel b/c one of our sheets ripped, so it has a new use) Better safe than sorry, plus it's cheap...

Personally I wonder how it is that products have been sold for ages, but they're going to ruin your stuff, but they're still for sale. Not just dusting, other things too. I've heard it about so many things, I never really know what to believe. It's frustrating. Guess that's why when I have to clean my wood floor in the living room, I use the ol' damp cloth. I don't know what's good, what's bad, so I go with what feels like the safe choice.

o

Bookert~ I use Pledge orange oil spray, it comes in a trigger bottle rather than an aerosol can. It works great.

o

I use Pledge too.o
I spray it on the rag, never on the furniture.
Works quite well, and leaves a nice fresh odor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here