Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning grime and soot from porcelain tile - Magic Eraser

Posted by dchall_san_antonio (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 14:37

We had a kitchen fire in the house last week that left the entire house coated in a greasy film and soot.

Downstairs from the kitchen we have a porcelain tile floor. It was filthy to begin with from 5 years of daily use, but the soot makes it just that much worse. I talked with the owner of the smoke damage clean-up company about using a Magic Eraser to clean certain surfaces. We did not talk about cleaning the porcelain flooring, but I decided to give it a try. Here's the picture.

This area is right outside the doorway to my office and was the most dirty area of the floor. To go from dirty to clean took 3 light wipes with rinsing the sponge between wipes. As far as I'm concerned, it removed the soot and the underlying grime perfectly. It looks brand new! My wife and I had been fretting over how to clean the floor for about a year. All the cleaners we had tried were essentially worthless, so this is fairly miraculous. I am a little disappointed that the grout is darker after cleaning the tile.

I did not use the Mr Clean brand. The Mr Clean brand is $3.00 plus shipping for two sponges on Amazon. I found the "Scrub It Quick Eraser" sponges at Dollar Tree for $1.00 per box. They also have the floor mop version of the sponge for a dollar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning grime and soot from porcelain tile - Magic Eraser

You can get a Mr. Clean mop with the sponge as a mop head.

o

UPDATE

In my earlier post I was disappointed that the grout seemed to be darkened by the cleaning. I was just impatient and did not wait for the grout to dry. It appears the grout cleaned right along with the tile.

To clean the rest of the floor, the smoke cleaners used the Mr Clean Magic Eraser mop version. They could not find the Quick Eraser brand at any of the Dollar Trees near my house. I had to go back across town to the one I found them at to get the mop version. It is called ScrubIT Color Sweep on one side of the packaging and Quick Eraser on the other side. It took about 2 hours of very light mopping to clean 300 square feet. The sponge did not look worn out when she was finished, either.

o

If your grout has gotten stained, here's a quick and easy way to refresh it; Mix some latex white paint with water, then "paint" it into the grout lines using a paintbrush. Quickly, before it's completely dry, go over the tiles with a slightly damp towel or rag. .Don't dig into the grout cracks. Wiping will remove any excess paint. Allow to fully dry before walking on it. That's overnight to 24 hours. And don't wash with harsh cleaners. Mine looks terrific-I did it 2 weeks ago in my main bathroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here