Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

Cleaning grime and soot from porcelain tile - Magic Eraser

dchall_san_antonio
13 years ago

We had a kitchen fire in the house last week that left the entire house coated in a greasy film and soot.

Downstairs from the kitchen we have a porcelain tile floor. It was filthy to begin with from 5 years of daily use, but the soot makes it just that much worse. I talked with the owner of the smoke damage clean-up company about using a Magic Eraser to clean certain surfaces. We did not talk about cleaning the porcelain flooring, but I decided to give it a try. Here's the picture.

This area is right outside the doorway to my office and was the most dirty area of the floor. To go from dirty to clean took 3 light wipes with rinsing the sponge between wipes. As far as I'm concerned, it removed the soot and the underlying grime perfectly. It looks brand new! My wife and I had been fretting over how to clean the floor for about a year. All the cleaners we had tried were essentially worthless, so this is fairly miraculous. I am a little disappointed that the grout is darker after cleaning the tile.

I did not use the Mr Clean brand. The Mr Clean brand is $3.00 plus shipping for two sponges on Amazon. I found the "Scrub It Quick Eraser" sponges at Dollar Tree for $1.00 per box. They also have the floor mop version of the sponge for a dollar.

Comments (3)