Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stain on vintage couch (pic)

Posted by stevsie (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 14:33

We recently bought a vintage couch - the fabric was in perfect condition. Within two weeks of owning it, the cat threw up on it (just my luck). We were right there when it happened, so it didn't sit for even a minute. We cleaned it with shout and a little water. The stain is essentially gone but has left a ring in the fabric. Any ideas of what I should/shouldn't use? The tag says the it's blended cotton felt, but it seems fairly delicate. Would Oxyclean hurt it? baking soda? Any help is appreciated!

sofastain

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stain on vintage couch (pic)

I believe the ring may be from residual dirt left in the material and cushion. Oxyclean should take it out and at the standard dilution on the box it shouldn't harm the fabric. Use a sponge dipped in the solution(and wring most out) to moisten the material. The best recommendation I can give would be to use a home steam cleaner to suck out the extra moisture. Barring that you could use a wet/dry vac to take out the extra moisture. That should prevent a second ring.

o
RE: stain on vintage couch (pic)

I had a ring/stain on a sofa cushion. It was several years old. I bought a Tide Stain stick and rubbed it all over the edges of the ring. It removed the ring. I think the stain may have been old ballpoint ink and it's gone too. Maybe it would work for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here