Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Bags and Lotus Sanitizer

Posted by marie26 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 13:12

Does anyone know if putting produce into the "green bags" after washing them in the Lotus Sanitizer will still keep the produce from spoiling for several weeks? By green bag, I mean the type that is supposed to keep produce fresher much longer than when not using them.

I've washed produce in the Sanitizer and it doesn't seem to help keep the vegetables fresher that much longer. Is there a special way everything should be stored once cleaned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Bags and Lotus Sanitizer

I have the green bags, and the instructions say not to wash the produce before you put it in the bags. You wash it as you use it.

o

Thank you arizonarose for responding. Do you like the bags?

o

Hi Marie,

The bags do keep stuff longer but they are expensive. I'm not sure the cost of the bags is offset by the savings in the produce...i don't know how to figure that out. But, our bananas kept quite a bit longer...until we ate them all which usually doesn't happen here.

o

Marie,
I wash my veggies that use the Lock-&-Lock containers to store them. My produce lasts much longer than it ever has!
They are available on line or at Target or Walmart.
HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Lock&Lock

o

I used the Green Bags on recommendation here at the Forum. I did not think it made any difference at all.

o

thaks for an honest opinion, DillyDally. I was curios about the Green Bags, I've seen them at my local store.

o

I also want to thank ,jannie. I moved here 6 months ago and had purchased a few bags of the green bags before the move but I haven't found them since. I guess it really doesn't matter anyways.

o

I have heard that the Green bags are a lot of hype. On the other hand, I have had fresh spinach last 3 weeks in the lock&lock. Mushrooms last and last too.

o

I still think they do keep things fresh longer. Not sure if any $ is saved do to the high cost of the bags tho...JMHO

o

dashmo37, do you put mushrooms (in the lock & lock) in the fridge? I've been searching for anything to keep mushrooms last.

o
Another question

dashmo37, I forgot to ask but must you use the freshness tray container that comes with the Lock & Lock when storing mushrooms or other vegetables? Will it keep lettuce fresher longer?

o

I have had great luck with keeping all veggies fresh in these containers. If they are a vegetable that looses moisture over time I just place a damp paper towel in the bottom. With mushrooms I don't wash before storage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here