Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmhartman

Cleaning construction dust?

lmhartman
15 years ago

We moved into this (new construction) house 6 weeks ago. Our garage is in our basement and is very large. Eventually we plan on adding a room in it while still maintaining room for both our cars. Right now that additional space (approximately 14x20) is being used for storage of things that we still need to pare down.

We got the keys only a day before we moved in. We swept the floor in the garage well prior to moving in (not realizing how bad the dust issue was), and have swept it twice weekly since then. This past weekend we used a shop vac on the whole space. It STILL has a lot of very fine construction dust which gets tracked into the house (and yes, we do remove our shoes when coming in).

The concrete in the garage is slightly pitted rather than smooth, and I think that's the problem, we just cannot get all the dust out of it.

Removing everything from the garage and hosing it down is not an option we really want to explore. We'd have to rent a storage unit to move everything into until the garage/basement dried out.

My next step it to try mopping the entire thing, but I'm afraid I'm just going to make a big mess and that the mop won't pick up the dust.

If this was you, what would you do? Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)