Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any tips for washing windows inside when they don't open well?

Posted by harvwald (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 12:08

We have very old windows that only open a little. The insides of the storm windows need cleaning badly. I could hire someone to remove and clean them, but we have a LOT of windows on a small house, and it's very expensive. Was hoping to put it off another year. I'm looking for suggestions on how to clean the insides. Was thinking perhaps of trying wipes if I could use some kind of extension to move the wipe around with the window only open a few inches. But I'm wondering if that might smear them and make them worse. There are many creative minds on this forum. Sure could use your ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any tips for washing windows inside when they don't open well

I know what you are going through. I have some old storm windows that cannot be removed, and I can't access the top sash for cleaning. I have found no way to clean them. I'm going to be removing them next spring.

If your problem is caused by interior windows that don't open well, there are ways to repair them. I have gotten a lot of good advice on the Old House forum. There is a tool called a window zipper that will help cut through layers of dried paint.

o
RE: Any tips for washing windows inside when they don't open well

Thanks, graywings. I probably need to have these repaired. 22 windows on a one-story bungalow. I don't look forward to that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here