Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Baked on Grease on Enamel Stove Top

aloha2009
11 years ago

MY DD just bought a house and the spill plates aren't worth salvaging but the stove itself though filthy is.

Wanting to make sure they don't use anything that will scratch it, what will take the grease stains that got baked on outside of the drip pans.

I've read about baking soda and vinegar but not sure if the baking soda can scratch. Any other ideas?

Comments (19)

• housefairy
    11 years ago

Oil Eaters. I buy it at Costco. Auto parts stores also sell it. Spray on full strength and let sit. Wipe off. It is smelly, so ventilate.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I would try Mr. Clean Kitchen Magic Eraser--it works very well on enamel with baked on grease. You could also try ammonia as I have had success with it as well, but NOT together with the Magic Eraser.

• jcmjcm
    11 years ago

I have used Sokoff with great success. There is also Carbon off. They can be purchased online, good luck!

• jannie
    11 years ago

I tried spraying Easy Off on my range top, left it on only about five minutes, wiped it off and rinsed thoroughly. Wear rubber gloves,it's very strong.

• kris_zone6
    11 years ago

Dawn Power Disolver will work. I buy it at WalMart.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Easy Off works extremely well. Just do not spray it on any stainless or chrome parts.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Magic eraser is very abrasive. It will scratch if you scrub....better use a product that dissolves the gook then risk a dull spot on the porcelain.

• rrah
    11 years ago

As others have said, the best thing I've found is a baking soda and vinegar mix. I sprinkle the baking soda on the gunky parts and spritz vinegar on that. I let it sit and bubble for a few minutes. Typically it wipes right up. If it's a tougher bit of greasy gunk, I repeat this and use a nylon scrubbie type thing on it. My cooktop shines.

• missionink
    9 years ago

Just made apple butter and it was really stubborn...I use FAST Orange - a pumice based hand cleaner...let it soak on the stains for ~5 minutes and scrub with a non-metallic scrubber...works pretty well!

• GregNow
    9 years ago

baking soda works just fine. It won't scratch or anything near that. Just rinse gently after letting it sit for 15 mins or so. Also, be sure to dry it off using a microfiber cloth/towel.

• prairie_rose
    9 years ago

I use Earthbrite, a clay cleaner from France for almost everything in the house. It works like a charm on almost everything and does not scratch. For the really baked on greasy stuff on the stove, I have also used my steamer. It melts most greasy stuff off without too much fuss. Then I polish it with a microfiber cloth.

• Annabelle
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Purchased a new gas range a couple weeks back and made fried donuts which left baked on grease all over the enamel that wouldn't come off for anything. I finally tried baking soda paste, a recommendation left by user azzalea, which immediately removed the cooked on grease with minimal scrubbing.

• rmoeller50
    8 years ago

There are many great ideas in these posts and sure I will adoped some of them. But I had the exact same problem you described on the black surface of my gas stove top. After years of thinking it was the result of using wrong cleaning agents I had time to spare being by myself at home. I just had used one of the strong threeangled shop racerblades for a different task and took a look how these would work on my stove top. It worked perfect! My stove looks really brand new. The trick is to hold the ! new blade with some work gloves in both hands in less then about 45 degree angle and easing up the pressure by scraping over the staines. I was able to even get all the rounded areas cleaned of with out one scratch on the enamel.

• Lynda Wagner
    8 years ago

bamboo skewers are great for getting any gunk out around the burner and the actual porcelain stovetop

• west_gardener2
    8 years ago

I also recommend the Mr. Clean Kitchen Magic Eraser. In my experience, it really works. I have not seen any adverse effects on my stove top.

• Trish Krog
    8 years ago

I have tried the baking soda and vinegar; it took off a lot of the severely burned on carbon but it left a lot on a couple of burners which had a FEW YEARS of carbon accumulation. I have scrubbed and scrubbed even resorting to using a knife to "scrape" the stuff off. After reading reviews about spray carbon-off *horrible spray bottle* I ordered the liquid paint-on carbon off. I really hope it works.

• Faith Deutsch
    6 years ago

I have tried the baking soda and vinegar but it took many applications, a huge mess and it still didn't get everything off. I thought I needed to purchase new stovetop grates. I saw the Easy-Off suggestion and it worked in 5 minutes. Most of the grease came off with a wipe of a papertowel - I couldn't believe it. A second 5 min application made them look like new! That saved me over $500 that I would have spent on new stove grates!~

• penrescue
    5 years ago

Put the grates in a container with ammonia. DO NOT BREATHE IT IN. USE RUBBER GLOVES TOO. works great. I put mine in a medium size tote and put the cover on and put it out on my patio. Worked great.