Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baked on Grease on Enamel Stove Top

Posted by aloha2009 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 11:55

MY DD just bought a house and the spill plates aren't worth salvaging but the stove itself though filthy is.

Wanting to make sure they don't use anything that will scratch it, what will take the grease stains that got baked on outside of the drip pans.

I've read about baking soda and vinegar but not sure if the baking soda can scratch. Any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baked on Grease on Enamel Stove Top

Oil Eaters. I buy it at Costco. Auto parts stores also sell it. Spray on full strength and let sit. Wipe off. It is smelly, so ventilate.

o

Baking soda is the first cleaning product I reach for in my kitchen. I use so much of it, I try to buy it in 12 pound bags when I can.

It's a good non-scratch scouring powder for the sink and range. If the spatters are stubborn, make a paste of bakign soda and water, spread on the stain, and let it sit a bit before scrubbing with something like a nylon scrubby (something that won't scratch). Baking soda takes that cooked-on gunky glaze off frying pans. I've even gotten grape juice and Koolaid stains out of white formica with it.

I always figure it's best to start with a non-toxic cleaner (baking soda) before moving up to a more dangerous product. It's very very rare that I ever have to go to a stronger cleaner. Baking soda is such an amazing product--it cleans, deoderizes, disinfects, isn't toxic, doesn't smell, is cheap and readily available--and you can even use it to brush your teeth or settle an acid stomach!

o

I would try Mr. Clean Kitchen Magic Eraser--it works very well on enamel with baked on grease. You could also try ammonia as I have had success with it as well, but NOT together with the Magic Eraser.

o

I have used Sokoff with great success. There is also Carbon off. They can be purchased online, good luck!

o

I tried spraying Easy Off on my range top, left it on only about five minutes, wiped it off and rinsed thoroughly. Wear rubber gloves,it's very strong.

o

Dawn Power Disolver will work. I buy it at WalMart.

o

Easy Off works extremely well. Just do not spray it on any stainless or chrome parts.

o

Magic eraser is very abrasive. It will scratch if you scrub....better use a product that dissolves the gook then risk a dull spot on the porcelain.

o

As others have said, the best thing I've found is a baking soda and vinegar mix. I sprinkle the baking soda on the gunky parts and spritz vinegar on that. I let it sit and bubble for a few minutes. Typically it wipes right up. If it's a tougher bit of greasy gunk, I repeat this and use a nylon scrubbie type thing on it. My cooktop shines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here