Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tripletmom83

Places we forget to clean

tripletmom83
10 years ago

Hi friends,
We have an entrance door that opens directly into our kitchen where our garage is attached. There is a metal storm door on it with a screen that goes almost halfway down. We usually keep the screen in all year long. Yesterday, as I was cleaning I noticed some scuff marks on the white metal, and then when I ran a damp paper towel over the screen, it was totally black. I can't remember the last time I thought to remove that screen to clean it, though I do my front door and window screens routinely.
(PS Bar keepers friend took care of the scuff marks)
Anyway, it got me thinking about other places and things that we might "forget" to clean, either because it isn't particularly noticeable, or we just are so used to it being that way we don't see it anymore.
So I am starting a list of things I sometimes forget, or notice in other peoples homes, in the hope that people will add to it and we can all get our homes sparkling clean:

Fingerprints on switchplates and around door knobs.

That rim just inside the door of your dishwasher.

The gasket on your refrigerator door, as well as the piece along the bottom when you open the door. (In between cleanings of the whole fridge).

Cobwebs and dust around the ceiling and above window treatments.

The toothbrush holder

I know there are many, many more and I'm interested to see what others come up with that I may be missing.

Comments (13)

• jannie
    10 years ago

For me, it's heating/air conditioning ceiling vents. The one in my kitchen is covered in kitchen grease and dust that floated in. . Yuck!

This post was edited by jannie on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 8:24

• krissie55
    10 years ago

More places we forget to clean:

Top of doors & door facings
    Behind night stands
    Baseboards
    Top of refrigerator (especially if you are short and don't see top)

• Donna-37
    10 years ago

IMO people forget to clean the insides/holding tanks of their coffee pots way to often! Some people never clean them.
    They are a breeding ground for bacteria.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Posted by dashmo37 ... on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 13:56 .... They are a breeding ground for bacteria.

Very interesting. Could you provide us with some more information?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Ceiling fan blades!

And wipe down the TV remote control with rubbing alcohol using a Q-Tip once in a while.

• grandmamary_ga
    10 years ago

Telephones, soap dishes in bathrooms, door knobs, just to name a few more.
    Mary

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Wash oven mitts and pot holders.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I agree about the potholders and oven mitts. Once in a (great) while, I'll toss my cloth pot holders in a large pot of water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap, set it on the stove and bring it to a boil.Turn off the heat once it boils, let it cool. Dump out the water, give the potholders a squeeze, then run through a regular laundry wash, preferably with towels and washcloths.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I agree about the potholders and oven mitts. Once in a (great) while, I'll toss my cloth pot holders in a large pot of water with a squirt of Dawn dish soap, set it on the stove and bring it to a boil.Turn off the heat once it boils, let it cool. Dump out the water, give the potholders a squeeze, then run through a regular laundry wash, preferably with towels and washcloths.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Jannie, great tip about washing potholders. I always just throw them right into the wash, but you're right, a good blast of serious heat with some Dawn will really get them clean and grease-free, esp. since they can't go into a hot white wash in the laundry.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    10 years ago

the vacuum - especially the accessories, the pre-filter, inside the 'bell' and the hose...cleaning the hose is a bit of a pain (soak it, scrub with dishrag on a broomstick) but you'd be amazed how the littlest bit of damp seems to lodge there and cause funky lint/mud...

agree on the coffee pot - vinegar is a good solution, especially where we live, where even the municipal water is 'hard'

the knife block, the utensil 'bucket' and the hamper liner : ) are the ones we have a hard time remembering until we discover 'oh, gross'

• krissie55
    10 years ago

Another place is "light fixtures".

Needed to replace a burned out bulb and was surprised at how much dust and spiderwebs were in and around the bulbs in the ceiling fixtures.

• emma
    10 years ago

For me it is the top of the fridge.