Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window Gels staining

Posted by kathyg_in_mi (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 11:19

Anyone got any ideas? Friend just emailed me she had some window gels on the east facing window and with the hot summer they did not hold up well. Left stains and dripped down too. So far she has tried window cleaner and tried vinegar, these just smeared. I told her to try a single edge razor blade and see if it will scrape off.
I'm hoping someone here has a better answer for her.
Kathy G in MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window Gels staining

What are window gels?

For stains, try Tilex, and see if she can find a way to get it to soak in it. Maybe spray a paper towel with it till damp on one end, and tape the dry end to the window with masking tape so the Tilex is over the stain. Warning: Tilex bleaches, so don't get it on clothes or towels.

o

Has she tried soap and water first and then the window cleaner. If it's smearing you need something to remove the excess. Before I tried anything with bleach I'd try a product that you would use on floors and once the goo was gone I'd finish with the window cleaner or vinegar

o

I can't suggest anything else other than mentioned above that 'might' work, but will advise against anything abrasive...steel wool, brillo, some cleaners. Ask me how I know...lol. I did some serious scratch damage getting the manufacturers stickers off of some new windows.

I'd think the straight edge razor blade, used very very carefully, might be best, taking great care to not scratch the glass.

The site linked below suggests straight alcohol, among other things.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Remove a Stain From a Gel Window Cling

o

Oceanna,
These are window gels.
Kathy G in MI

Here is a link that might be useful: Gels

o

Nail polish remover worked for her! Kathy G in MI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here