Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Make an Old and Miserable Porcelain Sink Look Passable?

Posted by xantippe (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 10:39

Hello, all you cleaning experts! Ive been lurking, really enjoying all your super tips, but now I am in desperate need of some help. I live in a 1920s house that came with what seemed to be a lovely original porcelain sink in the bathroom. On closer inspection, that same sink turned out to have a LOT of problems. We are about to have a ton of out-of-town guests, so I was wondering if you had any cheap, quick fixes for:

-- ancient paint stains
-- weird brownish stains in the bowl that do not seem to be mildew
-- shoe scuff marks on the pedestal
-- chips in the finish (probably not there's no hope on this one, but I thought Id ask anyway!)

I've tried a magic eraser, to no avail. Eventually, we hope to get the sink refinished, but for now, we just need simple fixes. Thanks so much for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Make an Old and Miserable Porcelain Sink Look Passable

Scrape the paint off with a razor blade, get some Zud or another rust remover and try that on the stains.....surely you have already tried straight Clorox? And I would scrub the scuff marks with Barkeepers Friend....seeing as you will eventually refinish the sink.
Linda C

o

Place a large vase of fresh flowers close by! ;-)

o

Thanks so much, you guys! This is our first house, and we are getting married in two weeks and, not surprisingly, this means that we having a ton of out-of-town company. Thus, the desperate urge to pretty up the sink. Lindac, believe it or not, I haven't tried straight Clorox but I sure am going to now! And then the razors and whatever else is necessary. I have to win this battle :)

o

Your sink has probably been damaged from years of people using stuff like comet/ajax. I always found that bleach helped for quick pick-me-ups and the brownish stain may be rust. After the company leaves, check into have the sink redone. The surface can be restored. It sounds like a great sink!

Gloria

o

My mom's white porcelain sink is over 40 years old. She lays paper towels in it pours on full-strength chlorine bleach and lets it sit all night.

o

I live in a house that has been in my husband's family for 100 years and it has a white porcelain sink in the kitchen with chipmarks showing the black underside of it. You can try to go to a appliance place or possibly a hardware place and buy a bottle of touch up paint for it. I have a little bottle of white paint called Appliance Brush Touch-Up (6 fl. oz.) that did not cost alot, lasts a long time and works great! I just redid my sink (which I do about once amonth) and my husband told it looked like a new one. Alot cheaper than replacing it!

o

For some reason, spraying with Clorox Cleanup works better than bleach or Comet.

My sink is about 30 years old. Is it worthwhile to resurface it?

o

Well, I did find something that took the stains off. I didn't have any bleach on hand, so I tried mildew remover (Tilex brand) and it took the stains right off. It smells like bleach, so I think I got the effect of bleach without having to buy a new product. As for the chips, I will report back when I have found some chip filler.

Thanks so much for all your help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here