Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Opinions on vacuum cleaner specs, please

graywings123
14 years ago

I have been shopping for a backpack vacuum cleaner, and Pro-Team seems to be the biggest supplier.

I'm now living in a small old house with small rooms, with hardwood floors with area rugs and one good-sized room with ceramic tile. Dragging a canister vac around the house is driving me crazy.

After looking at all the Pro-Team backpack vacs, I'm now thinking that the small hipstyle vac may be enough for my needs and would me more versatile. Looking at these specifications for the Tailvac, in your opinion, how does this compare to your average canister vac for performance:

Tailvac Specifications:

Weight = 8 lbs.

Airflow = 112 CFM.

Static Lift = 63 inches.

Power = 788 Watts.

Amperage = 6.6.

Decibel = 67 dB.

Intercept Micro Filter = 496 sq. in. / 6 qt.

Four Level Filtration = 791 sq. in. total area.

Includes: a 1 1/2 inch static-dissipating vacuum hose, a 50 foot extension cord and two Intercept Micro filters.

Generous Three Year Manufacturers Warranty! Covers Parts, Labor and Motor. Lifetime Warranty On Molded Body Parts.

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, forgot to put in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: ProTeam TailVac

• fandlil
    14 years ago

I would not buy a vacuum cleaner that does not come with a HEPA filter. Without one, you're just pumping dust right back into the air. The state of the art technology calls for a HEPA filter. Buying a unit without one is just a mistake.

• graywings123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good point. According to their website, the HEPA version won't be available until January.

Here is a link that might be useful: HEPA version

• lucky51
    14 years ago

Graywings Are you going to keep your Dyson for carpets and use the Backpack on bare floor? The vac you are looking at is suction only and will not have a beater bar for deep cleaning of carpets. (You also mentioned you are tired of dragging a canister around??? I thought you had the DC07?)

• graywings123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I left the Dyson DC07 at my previous house with my now ex-husband. I don't anticipate having enough carpeting here to need it - but I can get it if I need it. And in any event, the Dyson upright is not a good match with oriental area rugs.

I am currently using my Dyson DC11 canister - their earliest canister model, it has an air-driven beater bar. It's a workhorse - I'm using it as a standard vacuum cleaner for carpeting and hardwood and slso for jobs for which you would normally grab a shopvac. But I hate pulling a canister around the house.

I hear you on the issue of deep cleaning the carpeting. But I would need to get into a bigger backpack model for an air driven beater bar.

Can you give me a sense of the power of the Tailvac compared to something on the general market?

• betsyhac
    14 years ago

I, too, am shopping around for a ProTeam Quartervac for use on both carpet and hardwood floors. I'm having trouble, tho, locating the power nozzle. It's not even on ProTeam's website. Is "power nozzle" a generic term? Also, I saw that the ProTeam Sierra was recommended, but I can't find that model on the ProTeam website either. As for suction power, I've been trying to figure that out and am sick of trying! Sheesh. My new, huge Shopvac is 5.5 HP and my Electrolux is 12 amp, but I can't figure out how to convert one to the other for comparison's sake. Both have good suction (but everything else on Electrolux is crap).

• graywings123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Por-team's website doesn't seem to show a powered carpet brush. They offer a turbo brush, which is air driven.

It is easy to compare the ProTeam products to one another, but HP to amps to watts - I can't figure it all out.

I've decided on the Hipster Super Halfvac, which comes out in January. I've contacted ProTeam, and they tell me I can order a turbo brush and wand separately to use with it.

Their customer support people have been helpful to me. Try e-mailing them with your questions.

• RogerHal
    11 years ago

How far did you look into the ProTeam Packs? I heard good things about them and just posted looking for anyones opinion/experience with the proteam packs. My wife Jenny and I are looking to purchase a pack-vac and are trying to decide before we pull the trigger on the old pocket book. The Super Coach 6 seemed to fit our bill pretty well but we were also looking to see if Dyson had anything comparable. We're open to suggestions other than pain relievers. Graywings did you end up making a final decision!?