Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drbeanie2000_gw

Revivng the vacuum question...

drbeanie2000
11 years ago

I know that there are many posts around but some of them are several years old, and I'm not sure I've seen one with my exact preferences needed.

The parameters:

- I have allergies from dust mites, cat dander, dog dander, grass pollen, tree pollen, mold, mildew - pretty much, you name it.

- Hardwood floors throughout except tiles in the two bathrooms and probably two area rugs.

- One fabric couch, one leather couch, one leather recliner - there really isn't much fabric in my house.

From what I understand, bagless vacuum cleaners are hell on allergy sufferers and they sound like a complete pain to empty.

I think from what I've read that I need a sealed system, as vacuum cleaners with just a HEPA filter might still blow stuff around anyway, as opposed to a sealed system, which does - what?

I have had several experiences with upright vacs and I hate them. Sure they may be better/different now, but at the moment I would greatly prefer a canister.

I am a total weakling ;) and would prefer something that doesn't require TOO much heavy lifting.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Bean

Comments (10)

• harry_wild
    11 years ago

I have purchased an Dyson 41 animal model and I think it meets your needs. Go to the Dyson website and snoop around and also Amazon.com for there recommendations on the Dyson 41C?

• lindaw_cincy
    11 years ago

Just last week I bought an Oreck canister vac. It is light weight and wheels around quite easily. I wanted something with attachments as I already had an uptight sweeper. I am satisfied with the Oreck. It uses disposable bags.

• allen456
    11 years ago

Probably not the answer you're looking for but, a central vacuum is the way to go.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Harry Wild, I love my Dyson, but a Dyson doesn't meet the criteria listed by the OP.

A central vac would be great, but there are also very good HEPA filtered canister vacs out there.

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

One allergy sufferer with opinions that I respect swears by her Miele Capricorn, in part because of its sealed system. That specific model may no longer be made, but a similar one will certainly be available. Here is a link, although I know nothing about this vendor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allergy buyers vacuums

• jannie
    11 years ago

For what it's worth, this month's Consumer Reports magazine has an article on vacuums.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I 2nd the central vac. So much more powerful than any portable I've seen, it picks up so much more dust, etc. All the really fine particle that don't end up in the canister, which is in our basement, gets shot outside.

This is very DIY able.

• TerNer
    11 years ago

My elderly mother lightly mists the carpet with water or water/vinegar or even canned lysol spray (the type you spray in air) to prevent dust from getting airbound while she vacuums.

TEST IT FIRST: I would try the light mist of water on carpet - first on a small area before you vacuum to see if that works for you.

Works well for her - but everyone has a different degree of allergies.

WHAT WORKS FOR ME:
    I PERSONALLY, REMOVED AND REPLACED MY CARPET IN MY ROOM WITH CERMAIC TILE, THAT WAY I CAN MANAGE THE LEVEL OF DUST IN THE ROOM - A QUICK MOP, DUST FURNITURE AND WASH FABRICS AND then MY ROOM IS super CLEAN

• mainecoonkitty
    11 years ago

I have a central vac that was installed in my brand new house about 3 years ago. HATE the thing, so I went out and bought the Dyson Animal DC41. (I have two hairy beasts - a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a Main Coon cat - who think their job is to scatter their hair all over my house.) I LOVE the Dyson. It pulls their hair out of my carpeting and leaves my hardwood floors sparkling clean. The Dyson is expensive, but well worth the money, and it's much cheaper than installing a whole house system.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I think from what I've read that I need a sealed system, as vacuum cleaners with just a HEPA filter might still blow stuff around anyway, as opposed to a sealed system, which does - what?

The blown air goes through the bag(filter) then enters a blackhole and comes out a wormhole in a galaxy far far away so you don't have to deal with the allergens ever again.