Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaned stove top and now burners don't work.

Posted by carmen_grower_2007 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 9:31

I put a liberal amount of ammonia on the top to loosen the burned-on goop and now the front two burners don't go on with the electric starters. (the front two don't even spark) They are sealed burners and I'm thinking maybe water got into the underside but can't open it - help anyone?

The instructions say not to use steel wool on the top, and ammonia seems to be the only thing that cuts through the burned on food from days of canning.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaned stove top and now burners don't work.

They are sealed burners but the wire connects to the recepticle they snap into isn't sealed. You probably damaged the wires or recepticle with the ammonia. Check the 2 prongs on the recepticle to see if they are loose or damaged. You may have to consult a repair place.

A more sensible way to use ammonia on the enamel is to soak a cloth and let it sit for a while over the stain. This cuts down on the amount of amonia you have to use and keeps the stain wet so it loosens.

Frankly I never had to use anything like that and I've canned lots. If you wipe up the spills every time you can something it doesn't get burnt on.

o
RE: Cleaned stove top and now burners don't work.

I don't know what happened to your stovetop; but I've found a way to clean my sealed gas range top that works great for me. I spray Charlie's Soap all-purpose liquid cleaner onto the greasy, cooked-on areas. Let it sit just a minute or so as necessary. Then wipe/rinse with a wet rag. You'll find that the gunk lifts right before your eyes. I cleaned mine this morning. It was pretty band and needed an extra spray and I also used my Sonic Scrubber with the scrub pad attachments (that electric toothbrush-like tool). You can put the removable stovetop pieces in the sink and do the same thing, rinsing under the tap. If you use the Sonic Scrubbers on the sealed portion of the cook top, you will create a liquid/foam -- but just use your rag in the other hand to catch excess as you clean. It's easy to do, therefore I tend to do it more often.
I hope your stove problem is easily resolved.
Annie1971

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here