Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole93089

basement cleanup advice?

nicole93089
15 years ago

Hi all. Had a flood in our basement storage room. So now, after moving all boxes out, mopping up, and dehumidifying, I find that we have a little black mildew forming on the cinder block walls. Before I return everything back to that room, what do I clean this with? bleach solution?? thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

• carpetguru
    15 years ago

Bleach and water, scrub brush elbow grease. rinse and make sure it dries good.

• nicole93089
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I figured clorox would do the trick. Do you have any idea what proportions the solution should be? 50%water/50%bleach?

thanks.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

1/4 bleach to 3/4 water. Then use box fans to help dry the space for several days; basements are hard to dry out, so give it extra time.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Even ten percent bleach to 90 percent water is good for sanitizing/killing germs viruses and odors.

• nicole93089
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll fill the old spray bottle tomorrow with the mixture and kill the black stuff.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Once you've washed with the bleach solution the bigger issue is drying the air and a dehumidifier is NOT the way to do it. As michelle said, use fans and keep the air moving - that's the most critical part. If you're in a climate where you'd be using an air conditioner, make sure it's on - that pulls moisture out of the air far more effectively than a dehumidifier.

I've spent the entire weekend doing the same thing in my niece's basement and we'll have fans running for days before we move anything back.

• nicole93089
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info dlm2000. I just finished scrubbing the walls and have a big fan on the area. The AC is on too so should do the trick. It looks much better in there and even smells better :)

Thanks all!

• chambleemama
    15 years ago

Once it's dry, use a clean garden sprayer to coat the entire area with No More Mildew. We've used it with good results. After all you've done, it's worth it, just to make really sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: No More Mildew

• snowflakelover
    15 years ago

I agree, a fan is the best way because it keeps the air moving which keeps the mold spores from landing and multiplying to cause the icky black patches. Use a bleach and water solution, doesn't really matter proportions, bleach will kill all, then use fans to dry. Once completely dry, think about painting your basement with a glossy anti-fungal paint. It costs a little more than regular paint, but if your basement floods again, you won't have the mold problem again. Plus, the paint will brighten up any basement.

• waterdamage41
    10 years ago

agreed with michelle's reply. 1/4 bleach to 3/4 water. Then use box fans to help dry the space for several days; basements are hard to dry out, so give it extra time.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Since this thread is from 2008, let's hope the basement is dry. They have had five years to "give it extra time."

• emma
    10 years ago

I know this is an old post but someone may benefit from my experience. We had a water problem in our basement twice at our last home. Both times the restore was perfect. We used the agent our insurance recommended and they were great. They started out by lifting all of the wet carpet and removing the pad. Then they set up hug fans in the area and let them run24/7 for several days. After that they replaced the pad with new and put the carpet down again. The second time they found places where the carpet was damaged in a way that the insurance paid to replace it and the pad. We had no mold or any problems with the way it was handled. We only had to pay the deductible. I think the fans were the most important thing they did.

• Atrenkezer
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. Had a similar situation happen to me and its wonderful when there is information like this available for people to read.

• emma
    10 years ago

You are welcome. I love sharing and giving.

• bulldinkie
    10 years ago

We had a problem,my hubby was told not to use bleach it kills it on surface but it will come back,He got a product at lowes,it was a yellow bottle,dont know the name .its just for this.would you be able to power wash?we did our stone down there once looks great,put the cleaner in power washer.Maybe vacumn excess with wet,dry vac

• emma
    10 years ago

The people I used didn't use any chemical as I remember. I am really sensitive to chems and would have remembered. They just made sure the concrete under the carpet was dry and installed new pad.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH