Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shop Vacs...and dust control?

Posted by Capegirl05 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 11 at 8:27

What is the best way to suck up fine dust particles? A shopvac just blows more dust around and I am tired of sweeping. Is there something better we could be using? Our shopvac is an older model...I will gladly purchase a new one if it would work. I also thought about a GOOD hand-held vacuum? Do they have air coming out anywhere (like a regular vaccuum)? Good brand? Our house is "under construction" and we need to get rid of the dust! Thanks for any info.
Capegirl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shop Vacs...and dust control?

The shop vac I have I only use to suck the water out of the fountains. However, for dust it has a pleated filter that fits over the inside motor. I wonder if you are having problems because you don't have the filter attached, or you need to replace it with a new one.

o

I have had good filtration from my Home Depot Ridgid Shop vacuums, I have two. I even use them to vacuum my fireplace and that is fine ash that it is picking up.

Any hand held, here I am talking about a battery powered unit, has very poor filtration - these let enough "dust" through that you can see it flying out. I think they are good only for picking up dirt on the car floor and maybe for some dirt, not dust, on the floor. One could also use one that is clean to vacuum spider webs along the ceiling. Webs and spiders shouldn't make it through the poor filter.

o

A shop vac in "wet mode" (no filter) will of course blow all the dust around.

A shop vac with a regular filter will still blow clouds of dust around if you're vacuuming up something really fine such as drywall dust.

A shop vac with a HEPA filter installed (generally the filter is about $20-$30) will NOT throw dust around. You can probably buy a HEPA filter for your old shop vac.

o

I'd recommend the Cleanstream filter by Gore. While not inexpensive they do work extremely well and should last several years under normal use.

o

I don't know the answer to this question, I am just curious. If you put some water in your shop vac and then suck up dust does it go through the vac and out into the room or does it go into the water?

o

I don't know the answer to this question, I am just curious. If you put some water in your shop vac and then suck up dust does it go through the vac and out into the room or does it go into the water?
I don't know the answer, but do know someone who sucked up water and didn't know he was supposed to remove the filter. Now the whole thing stinks to high heaven when it is used.

o

While I do not need to answer the OP's question, since she said that she purchased a "shopvac" in another thread, I can explain what you asked about Albert_135.

Shop vacuums are not made to use water as a filter for the air. A vacuum cleaner like Rexair's Rainbow, is made to trap alot of the "wettable" dirt in the water and let the air escape the vacuum cleaner. The intake inlet is located close to the water, where the dirt can touch the water. The churning water also helps to trap the dirt. There is also a spinning separator which blocks more of the dirt from escaping. There are also exhaust filters to trap anything that has escaped the vacuum cleaner. Wettable dirt is that which will stick to the water. Such things as plaster, cornstarch, ash and talcum powder are some things that just bounce off the water. There are other brands that use baffles and filters, but they do not seem to do as well as vacuums that use a "separator".

With shop vacuums, the hose intake would be farther from the water. The dirt would enter the vacuum and swirl around and attach to the filter or drop to the bottom. The bottom line is that the water would not work.

o

At least with the ordinary "Shop Vacs" (that's a generic term for the device, not specifically the brand), water in the tank would provide no additional filtration.

I have seen and used an accessory for sanding drywall that allows the user to filter using water. It works quite well but wouldn't be convenient for general use.

As I mentioned earlier, Gore's Cleanstream filters work quite well.

o

I purchased two shop vacs for my big project...a 6 gallon and a 2.5 gal that has a handle that is more convenient in smaller places (ie stairs and inside cabinets)...the HEPA filter really really helps control the dust. The smaller model doesn't have the same filter system but it still does very well. Where can you find the Gore's Cleanstream filters?
Capegirl

o

I bought a Shop Vac at Lowes and even with a dust bag, the dust blows out the back. Now after reading this forum, I am wondering if we had it on the "wet" setting. We then bought the largest Ridgid at HD and it is fantastic, I have never seen a better shopvac ever. No dust blows out the back because of the exhaust muffler.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here