Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capegirl05

Shop Vacs...and dust control?

Capegirl05
12 years ago

What is the best way to suck up fine dust particles? A shopvac just blows more dust around and I am tired of sweeping. Is there something better we could be using? Our shopvac is an older model...I will gladly purchase a new one if it would work. I also thought about a GOOD hand-held vacuum? Do they have air coming out anywhere (like a regular vaccuum)? Good brand? Our house is "under construction" and we need to get rid of the dust! Thanks for any info.

Capegirl

Comments (12)

• housefairy
    12 years ago

The shop vac I have I only use to suck the water out of the fountains. However, for dust it has a pleated filter that fits over the inside motor. I wonder if you are having problems because you don't have the filter attached, or you need to replace it with a new one.

• jerry_nj
    12 years ago

I have had good filtration from my Home Depot Ridgid Shop vacuums, I have two. I even use them to vacuum my fireplace and that is fine ash that it is picking up.

Any hand held, here I am talking about a battery powered unit, has very poor filtration - these let enough "dust" through that you can see it flying out. I think they are good only for picking up dirt on the car floor and maybe for some dirt, not dust, on the floor. One could also use one that is clean to vacuum spider webs along the ceiling. Webs and spiders shouldn't make it through the poor filter.

• perel
    12 years ago

A shop vac in "wet mode" (no filter) will of course blow all the dust around.

A shop vac with a regular filter will still blow clouds of dust around if you're vacuuming up something really fine such as drywall dust.

A shop vac with a HEPA filter installed (generally the filter is about $20-$30) will NOT throw dust around. You can probably buy a HEPA filter for your old shop vac.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

I'd recommend the Cleanstream filter by Gore. While not inexpensive they do work extremely well and should last several years under normal use.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    12 years ago

I don't know the answer to this question, I am just curious. If you put some water in your shop vac and then suck up dust does it go through the vac and out into the room or does it go into the water?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

I don't know the answer to this question, I am just curious. If you put some water in your shop vac and then suck up dust does it go through the vac and out into the room or does it go into the water?
    I don't know the answer, but do know someone who sucked up water and didn't know he was supposed to remove the filter. Now the whole thing stinks to high heaven when it is used.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

At least with the ordinary "Shop Vacs" (that's a generic term for the device, not specifically the brand), water in the tank would provide no additional filtration.

I have seen and used an accessory for sanding drywall that allows the user to filter using water. It works quite well but wouldn't be convenient for general use.

As I mentioned earlier, Gore's Cleanstream filters work quite well.

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I purchased two shop vacs for my big project...a 6 gallon and a 2.5 gal that has a handle that is more convenient in smaller places (ie stairs and inside cabinets)...the HEPA filter really really helps control the dust. The smaller model doesn't have the same filter system but it still does very well. Where can you find the Gore's Cleanstream filters?
    Capegirl

• macvirtualasst
    11 years ago

I bought a Shop Vac at Lowes and even with a dust bag, the dust blows out the back. Now after reading this forum, I am wondering if we had it on the "wet" setting. We then bought the largest Ridgid at HD and it is fantastic, I have never seen a better shopvac ever. No dust blows out the back because of the exhaust muffler.

• ribbit1
    8 years ago

FWIW.......instead of an expensive HEPA, I simply cut circles (about 16 inch diameter) out of old sheets and put them over the "course" filter (for support) and then secure with the plastic ring. I used to have a large sheet of blue cloth-like paper (?) material. Not sure what it was but it worked great. With sheets, I put a double layer and it seems to work extremely well though the ring is a bit snug. The benefit is that you can wash out the sheet circles and reuse. For sure, the price is right!

• PRO
    Neptune Power Washing
    8 years ago

I also have an extra hose and put it on the exhaust port and then place the hose out a window so that the dust goes outside.