Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capegirl05

Final Clean...new construcation question?

Capegirl05
12 years ago

My DH and I have been the "clean-up crew" during the construction of our home. We figured it would save a lot of money and we could make sure it was done corectly and on time. Now, we are nearing the end...trying to get geared up to clean EVERYTHING before we move in...

I have thought about what will need to be done...is there a list that someone can share? I don't want to leave anything out! TIA!

Comments (12)

• RRM1
    12 years ago

Just remember, heating ducts and registers, flush drains and all water supplies, and dust all your walls and ceilings after everything else and before furnishings are moved in.

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks RRM1...hadn't thought of plumbing anf heat/air registers. I think to clean the walls and ceilings before carpet goes in makes the most sense.

• RRM1
    12 years ago

You'll need to vacuum the carpets after they are installed and give them time to de-gas. The windows will need to be open/or run AC or both. You might just vacuum the walls and ceilings after that at the same time.

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

RRM1-should the walls be vaccumed or washed? Is there a better piece of equipment that could be rented? We have a lot of walls and 9' ceilings...

• RRM1
    12 years ago

A good vacuum with a brush attachment should be adequate for the smooth surfaces; you don't want to scratch anything. An industrial vacuum with an extra long hose and pole extensions might help ease some of the toting and lifting. I don't think I'd wash anything unless you know the paint has cured adequately. A damp cloth might be all you need to remove anything stubborn. After you've run your furnace and A/C for 24+ hours, check all of the filters and clean/replace them if needed. You'll want to vacuum the carpets, at least a couple of times, to help them de-gas; see what the installers recommend.
    Richard

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Richard, I bought a RIGID shop vac today at HD...also bought a few attachments. They claim that using a "3 or 5 layer filter will control the fine dust"...I will put it to the test. An "industrial vaccum"...is that something I could rent? Or were you just referring to a shop vac? The one that I bought got really good reviews and several of the reviews mentioned "fine dust particles"...that is what I have a lot of...thanks for all your advice and help too!

• jannie
    12 years ago

We had a wall moved in our house. Massive construction and dust. We wiped down every wall and ceiling with damp sponges, which we discarded as we used them. That was the final step after our renovation. Good luck to you!

• RRM1
    12 years ago

The shop vac you bought should be fine with adequate filters and long enough hoses (the quality and ease of use of home shop vac hoses is often a problem. they're usually junk.). I was just referring to a commercial version of something similar to a shop vac, but with better heads, hoses, and filters for repeated commercial, heavy-duty use.
    Richard

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I am glad I didn't start the clean up process because they put in the granite yesterday and the dust left behind is incredible. We need a Shop Vac anyway, but I will see if I can rent a commercial one here locally...

• RRM1
    12 years ago

Capegirl,
    The Shop vac you bought is probably OK, just remember they tend to be top heavy and the hoses are not agile. It can tip over and hoses can separate. It will probably not have a soft brush head, which I would recommend; even the plastic head will scratch some finishes.

• geguymw
    12 years ago

Capegirl;

You should be fine with the "shopvac" you purchased. No need to go out and rent another one. You want to pick up the dust and debris, then contain it.

If your Rigid brand does not have a floor brush attachment, you can purchase one for it or purchase a generic brand for it.

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did purchase the floor brush attachment and will use it very soon. So far, I have been vaccuming out cabinets and vaccuming out the tops of the kitchen cabinetry. the dust is amazing! I do like the idea of using a damp sponge to contain the dust. I will try that. we just about have all of the windows clean...lol!