Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I get rid of absolutely horrible pet odor?

Posted by bedweary (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 7:24

Hello, I am a new member of the forum and have what seems to be a fairly common problem, but I would like to try to get the most up-to-date tips to resolve it.
We just rented a house, were told the previous occupants kept their dog outdoors but this was obviously not the case.
When we made the deposit & signed the lease, the house did not have a noticeable (to me) odor. The owner had the carpets cleaned throughout, let them dry for a day, then the house was closed up for most of 5 days with no electricity and 90+F temps outside. When I went back in yesterday the smell was AWFUL. The place looks clean but smells of dog, especially in the living area where we will be spending much of our time.
Any advice on the best treatments to get rid of the odor will be very much appreciated as we are not pet owners and are probably more sensitive to it. Thanks, Barry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I get rid of absolutely horrible pet odor?

Personally, I would contact the landlord/realtor and have him come over and take a whiff. Either the carpet needs to be cleaned by professionals that specialize in getting rid of pet odors or the carpet needs to be removed/replaced.

o

If I were in your situation, first I would call the landlord and have him/her deal with it.

If I owned the house, I would start by getting a black light and using it to see where on the carpeting the dog has urinated. I would also check the corners of the room to see if the dog has been spraying on the walls. You can buy them at Petsmart and Petco.

Then I would get a gallon of an enzyme cleaner and apply it heavily onto the rug using a $15 hand pump sprayer Not just a light spray, but to the point of soaking so that it reaches the padding. Then you let it dry - no rinsing. I have always used Nature's Miracle, but there are other brands that people say are better.

In the end, new padding and carpet may be necessary. If you go that route, after the padding is removed, apply a sealer to the wood flooring, as the urine may have soaked through.

o

The only way you'll get rid of that smell is to lift the carpet and seal the flooring underneath. If the dog raised its' leg then you'll have the smell behind basboards and in walls as well. Definitely call the landlord and hopefully he'll use their deposit to take care of this problem for you.

o

I would ask the land lord to get new carpets, period. If it smells that bad, the urine must be down in the padding. Soaking a carpet is the worst thing you can do.. you will end up with mold if it's soaked down into the padding making it smell worse. Why subject your self to this, ..I would just stand my ground and insist on new carpets..he is making enough money and having other people pay for is real estate... he can afford to do this I am sure... good luck, let us know the out come.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here