Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Terrible odor in silk tank

Posted by laceyvail (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 7, 09 at 6:27

I have a beautiful woven, ivory silk tank top that has a terrible odor. I've tried soaking it in water that has baking soda in it, and it hasn't done a thing. Does anyone have a suggestion that won't damage the silk. (Although if I can't remove the smell, I'll have to through it out. It's unbearable. And unwearable)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Terrible odor in silk tank

did it smell when it was new? Or is the smell recent? What kind of a smell?
Have you tried soap and water?...something like Baby shampoo?
Linda C

o

I got the tank second hand and didn't notice the odor when I got it, though I'm sure it was there. I don't know how to describe it except to say that it's not moldy or musty. To me, it's a little like fake maple syrup flavoring in baked goods, a smell that I find disgusting. But it's much worse than that and it's something that anyone would notice and dislike.

o

Unfortunately your description of the smell is difficult for me to imagine so I'm not sure if I can be of much help but I'll share what I have learned about silk.

An organic clothing store opened in my town and when I went to check it out I found the smell somewhat unpleasant but I assumed it was because the store was newly fitted out. When the smell was still there on a subsequent visit some time later I commented on it and I was told it was the smell of the silk in some of their clothes. I was assured that it washes out after about four washes.

I bought three or four items at various times and possibly one got the full four washes, which didn't completely remove the smell. I did some googling and read that good quality silk is processed in such a way that the smell is removed but cheaper silk basically relies on the purchaser eventually washing it out. At that point washing those items again and again was not a priority so I never have reached the point of making those clothes wearable.

Perhaps your tank hasn't been washed often enough yet, or perhaps even the previous owner got frustrated enough with the lingering smell that some desperate measures were tried which merely added to the smell?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here