Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Aha moment - cleaning utensils

Posted by meadows (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 0:52

After years of trying all sorts of stainless steel and sterling products to clean and shine utensils, I found this trick...

Line a cake pan with aluminum foil, boil enough water to fill 3/4 of pan, pour boiling water into lined cake pan and add 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda. Water will fizz so if you can place cake pan in sink before you add boiling water and baking soda. Add silver or stainless steel and let sit for approximately 10 minutes. You will note a rotten egg scent for a minute or so after you add utensils. Rinse well and dry.

Results - perfect looking utensils!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Aha moment - cleaning utensils

But doesn't continued use of this method remove the silver from plating?

o

And I would wash them instead of just rinsing them after using aluminum foil.

I would think it would remove the plating. I have some silver coated chains and just wiping them took the silver off.

o

Thanks for the comments... Guess I should have done more research. The silver is solid, not plated so I just might be OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here