Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happydaze11

Unknown stuff melted and chemical like fumes in oven

happydaze11
9 years ago

This is odd that I have no idea what happened to apparently melt in my oven. I had guests here cooking and I've wondered if someone placed something plastic or styrofoam on floor of oven and some of it melted.

First problem was awful chemical stench when turning on oven. When it cooled, I wiped out but there was a distinct texture of something on the floor of oven. I tried scraping it, nothing loosened or came off. Next, used bar keepers secret, it seemed to help some, tho it's as if It may have spread area covered a bit, it's maybe 8"x8". And now instead of a smooth surface on bottom of oven, it's textured where whatever was melted and then scrubbed.

So I rinse everything off really well and run auto clean, it stinks up house.

I wipe out oven and try scrubbing area that still has thin textured area. Scrubbing makes no difference.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting chemical like fumes and smoke, not nearly as bad as it was. Suppose I can try running auto cleaner again, just not sure what if anything else can be done short of replacing oven. I'm somewhat concerned about chemicals already released and more if running the cleaner again or continue using. It's about 12 years old and gets light use.

Any suggestions?

Comments (6)