Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Tree Pitch/Sap On Paint

Posted by Jerry_NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 05 at 23:28

How can I remove dried (old) pine tree pitch/sap off of a painted surface, e.g., an automobile?

Tx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Tree Pitch/Sap On Paint

Haven't had any personal experience with this, but...

The Goo Gone label says it removes tree sap, but it might also remove any wax if it is a car. You might just try in one small spot to see how it works. There are also cleaning compounds at in auto supply departments and stores which might work.

o

Thanks socks1...

I do have some of that on HD spot/paint cleaner, some of it as I recall is for removing paint too, I don't want that. I do have rubbing compound too, that could work, and I think turpentine (sp) may work too as it is derived from tree sap, if I recall correctly. I havve only paint thinner on hand and it didn't do much. The sap is on the cowling of an outboard boat engine, which has very good paint on it as it is only a couple of years old.

o

I used to use Lestoil to remove pine tree pitch from my car after vacations in Maine, it worked well and didn't damage the finish.

o

I have terra-cota tiles on the railings of my deck which is under a huge pine tree. The sap is a real problem - it falls on the wooden parts and the furniture. I have found "denatured alcohol" on a rag does the job for me on everything. Good luck.

o

Deep Woods Off works really well. Just spray on, then rub lightly - no pressure - and in a short while it will dissolve the sap. Then, just wipe off with a rag. I wore rubber gloves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here