Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neighbor's Garbage Stinks!

Posted by haname (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 23:05

This is really becoming a problem. My neighbor's back gate is close to my front door, and as the week progresses, the stench of his garbage is noticeable on my porch. That's where I have guests come over, and leave. This isn't pleasant for them or us to experience whenever we want to go in or out. Is there something I can do? My neighbor doesn't seem interested in preventing the odors. I did speak to the HOA and they said I could register a complaint but I'm not sure I want it to go there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neighbor's Garbage Stinks!

If you're not friendly with him, I'd suggest a pleasantly worded note asking them to move their cans for a few weeks. Explain the smell interferes with having guests on your porch. Don't threaten or say anything about filing a complaint. That's what I would do.

o

Is it in an enclosed container with a lid and the lid closed? Might it be as simple as the lid being closed? I'm guessing that by his back gate is the most convenient or out of the way place for him/her to put it.

If not in a container, I'd address the issue with the neighbor and ask that they get a container with a lid and use it...maybe go halves on it?

o

I have a similar problem. My neighbor has a huge compost pile close to my property line. He and two other neighbors dump all of their yard debris on it. It is about 30' wide and 2' high. The bugs and the stench prevent me from sitting on the patio and on warm days, I can't even open the windows B/C of the odor. What can I do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here