Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jme_21

Vacuum Suggestions for Tile and Wood Floors

jme_21
12 years ago

We've remodeled and will soon move to a different house on our farm. Between farming and small children our floors dirty fast. I will have about 1,500sf of tile/wood floors. I've almost settled on a Haan steam vac for more thorough cleanings, but I am still looking for a daily cleaning vacuum.

I would love to know about any hard surface vacuums that you love or any cleaning ideas that might be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Haname
    12 years ago

A canister type vacuum is best if the majority of your floors are hard. There are so many out there! Decide on a price range, and what you want in a vac (HEPA filtration or not for example), then read as much as you can on the different models.

One suggestion I do have, is consider getting a professional type wet/dry mop. I recently got one and love it. It has 1 microfiber duster and 4 microfiber cleaning pads. They attach to the base with velcro. It's really easy to go over my tile and hardwood flooring when I want to clean it but don't want to lug out the vacuum or steam cleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1428641}}

• Panda143
    12 years ago

have you both had good success with steam cleaner on the hardwood floors? I purchased a shark steam mop but haven't yet tried it on my hardwood floors.

• timberframe4us
    12 years ago

I *completely* agree with the canister over upright on any non-carpeted floor. My upright just threw dirt behind it on linoleum. That said, in my new house with all hard floors (wood, tile, concrete), I *love* my central vac. I know that is not likely to be an option in an existing house, but retrofitting is a possibility depending on your situation. If it's in your budget, research that for sure! It is not terribly advanced in the DIY area either (but neither is it "beginner").

I have a question about the steam cleaners that are made for wood. Do they work well? They seem like they would potentially damage the wood. I'm not getting that whole idea...just curious.

• jme_21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the input.

As far as steam cleaning hardwood goes, I'm a little nervous as well. I should have clarified that the steam cleaner is for the tile. I would like a regular vacuum that works well on the tile and wood. I agree with the idea that wood might be damaged with steam. I have a friend who steam cleans her wood weekly. The house is only 9 months old. Curious to see if there is damage over time.

• Haname
    12 years ago

I have a vapor cleaner that works well on the hardwood. The key is (relatively) dry vapor, not wet steam. You don't want to apply a lot of moisture to the wood. With my steamer you attach the cloth to the steamer head in such a way that most of the steam escapes so that you clean the floor with a hot, barely damp cloth.

• lizbeth-gardener
    12 years ago

This question comes up on a regular basis, so if you do a search on the cleaning forum, you should find lots of opinions. Also think it was just in the home decorating forum.

I have much the same situation you have and after much research, bought a Meile vacuum. They are not inexpensive, but are well worth the money. People seem to keep these for years and the guarantee is very long. I have had a Kirby, Hoover Wind Tunnel and an Electrolux and they don't compare. If you are interested, there is plenty of info. about them online.

For the times I don't need a vacuum, I use the Bona system. It was recommended by our flooring company and I am pleased with the way it works. It is a mop handle with different attachments for when you want to just dust mop or one for cleaning. They have a spray that you use with it. I don't use steam or water on my floors. HTH