Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with cleaning hardwood floors pls

Posted by laurience (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 22:12

My oak mirage hardwood floors are a beautiful dark brown/grey. I would like them to be a bit shinier. I have tried Murphy's oil but now I can see prints all over the floor. Any advice?

Joanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with cleaning hardwood floors pls

I used to have the same problem until I discovered using 1/3 white vinegar/1/3 rubbing alcohol & 1/3 water. The alcohol makes the solution dry quickly so you don't have the streaks although you don't want to put a lot of the solution on your floors. Sometimes I will take an old towel and go over them with that to absorb the excess water. It has been the only thing that has worked for me and I've spent a fortune on cleaning products and nothing worked. This is so inexpensive and it work and doesn't hurt the hardwood flooring.

o

All I can say is I've tried Murphy's Oil and I hate it, it smells nice but ruins your floor with a sticky, gummy, streaky film! I use Bona Kemi products only on my floor, which are oak. Beautiful when clean and shiny. I think vinegar and water would be a good cleaner, I have seen pre-moistened vinegar and water cleaning cloths in my local store. Didn't buy them because I figured I can make my own.

o

Do NOT use Murphy's Oil. I have read many flooring folks say that it is not for use on wooden floors.
Water and vinegar (and maybe some alcohol) ina spray bottle is all you need along with a microfiber mop.

o

I use ZEP wood floor cleaner sometimes and then sometimes just water and vinegar. I found "Quick Shine" to use AFTER cleaning and it does give my floors a nice shine. I have oak floors from 1926 original to the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here