Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urine Odor in Bathroom

Posted by denise54 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 20:52

This is embarrassing, but what do you do to get rid of a faint urine odor around the toilet bowl? I've scrubbed around the seat, the lid, the base, etc....and there's still just the faintest hint of an odor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urine Odor in Bathroom

Spritz the whole darn thing with bleach and water in a spray bottle. Let sit a few minutes and wipe with a paper towel.

o

If you don't have caulking around the base of the toilet and have little boys or even elderly users, some urine can get under the toilet. You can just pull the toilet loose and clean under there if the odor remains after a blitz cleaning. Then caulk.

If your toilet is two pieces with a tank and bottom, urine can get caught inbetween the two parts. You can take the tank off and clean that. Another hiding place is behind the toilet where the floor and baseboard meet. Urine can get in between that area if it isn't caulked.

It may just be hiding in an unreachable place so the odor lingers even though you clean.

Gloria

o

I had this problem. Discovered that the caulking around the toilet base was old and cracking. I replaced it and it solved the problem. Maybe the smell was coming from the underneath the base (wax ring??). Regardless, a good epoxy caulk worked.

o

we had caulk around the base and a plumber came in one day and removed it. (?). He was doing other work for us; he didn't just randomly show up. LOL!

o

I use Odor Mute. It's a product sold in pet stores for animal urine odor, but works on any odor. One time a cat went in my bathroom and "sprayed" somewhere in the bathroom around the toilet. I couldn't detect exactly where so I mixed up some Odor Mute in a spray bottle and saturated walls, floor and all crevices in and around toilet bowl. The smell was gone. Then I went in and wiped the excess off of everything. This stuff is very safe. You can even use it on lawns. Very inexpensive also. I buy it at KV Vet Supply on-line. It's pretty popular, but I don't know of any local retailer who sells it because I've never really looked for it locally.

o

I had that problem. Cleaning the toilet thoroughly didn't help, but cleaning the floor sure did!

o

I had that and it turned out the wax seal around the toilet was leaking....a good cleaning when the toilet was out....replacing the wax seal and the problem was solved.
Linda C

o

I have heard from plumbers that they do not advocate caulking around the base of toilets because of a concern that the caulk will conceal any leaks that might develop.

o

Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice. I think I figured it out. I do think it's the floor and the baseboards (hmmmm....do you think someone's missing the bowl???) I got down there with gloves and really cleaned the area around the toilet, including the walls, floor and baseboards. Seems better now.

o

Cleaning a bathroom sometimes means removing urine odor from tile and grout. To do this in an efficient manner means getting to the root of the problem.. The newest technology for cleaning bathroom tiles uses peroxide and detergents to penetrate the soiled area and deactivate the odor. Simply spray a product like PAWS - Pet Accident Washup Solution on the area, allow to sit for 10 minutes and then wipe clean. Baking soda will also neutralize the smell of urine from in between your bathroom tiles. Make a paste of baking soda and water and clean with a toothbrush. Let site for about 30 minutes and wipe with a damp sponge. If the odor persists, repeat until the odor is gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.ring4van.com

o

I live in the boonies with water pressure issues so I maintain the cabin rule: if it's yellow let it mellow...well, it is NOT mellow. I shook a couple tablespoons of sodium bicard, aka baking soda in the looh and wahla...no more smell. I didn't want to do chlorine on the off chance I'd create a toxic gas one gets mixing ammonia and bleach. I'll try cleaning with baking soda now in places I don't like smells.

o

Check the walls and floor.... don't ask me how I know (gag).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here