Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst

Posted by northwoods (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 19:10

Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my life. I have used Pine Sol for many many years. There is no better cleaner on earth. It has now changed due to federal regulations so says Clorox. Pine Sols Facebook page says it all on how I feel. After my rage on the phone with Clorox, I found on the Pine Sols Facebook page people like me. Many are upset. The smell alone of the new formula is just terrible. It also is not as powerful in cleaning. Please Pine Sol peoples PLEASE call Clorox to complain or take to their Facebook page and write there! PLEASE!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst

Sorry you didn't know the old formula Pine Sol didn't disclose all the chemicals on the label. In 2011 it was discovered Pine Sol, Glade, Tide, Febreze, Clorox, and Simple Green, "contain chemicals that are known to cause hormone disruption, pregnancy complications, birth defects, and cancer, and can aggravate allergies". You can read an article on the subject at the link below.

Some non-toxic choices would be pure Castile soap and water, alcohol, soda (baking and washing varieties), vinegar, cornstarch, etc., which are safe and effective and cost a whole lot less. I use a steam cleaner and love it.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Which Household Cleaners Contain Toxins?

o

I bought a bottle of Pine Sol for the scent, and you are right, it doesn't smell like I remember it.

o

I thought they changed the formula because of the decreased availability of pine oil.

o

Here's a link to a story about it. consumerist.com - The company blames a pine oil shortage and promises to offer the original scent online. I did not check to see if they offered further information about online purchases.

o

Just looking as I found an old (years old, not sure how many) bottle of Pine-sol, sprayed some on finished kitchen wood (real) cabinets, and wipped with a damp microfiber towel. Recognized the smell. Cleaning, seems okay but not sure I'll buy a refill as from this thread it sounds like the old stuff is gone... and worse, the old stuff may cause cancer. Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer?

o

My mother used to clean with Pine sol. I loved the smell back then. I have not bought the new but would not wan the smell to change any.

o

I heard years ago that Pine Sol is a petroleum-based product. Therefore, I never use it. I would not clean with gasoline or motor oil either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here