Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northwoods_gw

Pine Sol Original Has Changed For The Worst

northwoods
10 years ago

Im a 47 yo male, have been a neat clean guy all my life. I have used Pine Sol for many many years. There is no better cleaner on earth. It has now changed due to federal regulations so says Clorox. Pine Sols Facebook page says it all on how I feel. After my rage on the phone with Clorox, I found on the Pine Sols Facebook page people like me. Many are upset. The smell alone of the new formula is just terrible. It also is not as powerful in cleaning. Please Pine Sol peoples PLEASE call Clorox to complain or take to their Facebook page and write there! PLEASE!!!!

Comments (14)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I bought a bottle of Pine Sol for the scent, and you are right, it doesn't smell like I remember it.

• LoriFLA
    10 years ago

I thought they changed the formula because of the decreased availability of pine oil.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Here's a link to a story about it. consumerist.com - The company blames a pine oil shortage and promises to offer the original scent online. I did not check to see if they offered further information about online purchases.

• jerry_nj
    10 years ago

Just looking as I found an old (years old, not sure how many) bottle of Pine-sol, sprayed some on finished kitchen wood (real) cabinets, and wipped with a damp microfiber towel. Recognized the smell. Cleaning, seems okay but not sure I'll buy a refill as from this thread it sounds like the old stuff is gone... and worse, the old stuff may cause cancer. Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer?

• Petunia
    10 years ago

My mother used to clean with Pine sol. I loved the smell back then. I have not bought the new but would not wan the smell to change any.

• jannie
    10 years ago

I heard years ago that Pine Sol is a petroleum-based product. Therefore, I never use it. I would not clean with gasoline or motor oil either.

• Tiffiney Barrett
    9 years ago

Pinesol is non toxic. Pine oil is what cleans so well

In the pinesol. It was changed because of a pine oil

Shortage. There is no problem with bad ingredients.

If you go to pinesol.com it will Give you a link so that you

Can order the original product. You can order either a two

Pack of 48 floz or 6 bottles in a pack of 48 floz. Also if you go

to an Office Depot sometimes they have a big bottle of the

Industrial strength pinesol. It's very concentrated but has a wonderful

Smell.

• Shar Walters
    7 years ago

I passed out for eleven hours after housekeepers used Pine Sol in my bathrooms (normally I sleep only 5 hours. My new housekeepers used it upstairs before I caught them. I was out nine hours. My throat is red and sore and I have a bad cough. The first cleaners would not tell what that horrible smell was, the next fessed up. That was yesterday. Both times, my husband could not rouse me to fix dinner. My dog has yet to wake --I'm worried because another site carries bad reports about the effects of Pine Sol on pets.

Be safe-- Shar

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There seems to be at least eight 'Pine-sol' on the market. As mentioned it Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner • Household safety - Exposure to vapor or mist may irritate respiratory tract.

ETA Just the mention of any housecleaning has a soporific affect on me.

• mmmm12COzone5
    6 years ago

I was trying to deodorize a stinky item of clothing and my store did not have Lysol so I bought Pine Sol. It only went in the laundry but soon after I started the machine my throat started to get irritated and feel like it was closing up. I immediately shut the machine down and switched to rinse and spin. I then washed the clothes 4 more times in vinegar, oxiclean, soap and plain water. They still stunk. I hung them outside in the sun for a few days. They still stunk.

My laundry room still stinks over a week later. I have been leaving the fan on and the door open to the garage but keeping the door to the house closed. It still stinks. Nothing gets rid of the horrible toxic chemical brew in Pine Sol. This stuff should be taken off the market as toxic chemical sludge. I have since washed the washer with citrasolve. Not even that could get rid of the Pine Sol toxic smell.

• Syeve Yones
    6 years ago

This thing about Cancer is just a lie. I'm 50yrs old and had Pine Sol used around me all my life.As long as it has been around we would have noticed something extreme a long time ago.The truth is that the old one kills bed bugs and it's been a true life saver for this problem,and it's perfectly safe around pets and children

I have been using it for a pesticide for over 30yrs.If there were some ill effect of any kind at all I would be someone to have seen it by.These company take overs are so greedy,they won't allow a quality product to stay on the market when they find out that the poor people are able to do a good job with a cheap product, when the expensive ones don't even come close they take away the cheaper ones, for the sake of money. If the original Pine Sol is not reintroduced to get the bed bug problem under control, MONEY IS THE REAL REASON!

• Bill Adsley
    3 years ago

Whatever changes have been made to the original Pine Sol has now made it able to be called a disinfectant. Back in the 80s, the public health department of Idaho told our church camp it had to stop using Pine Sol in the showers and the toilets as they did not disinfect anything, we were ordered to use bleach. When i was in college Bacteriology lab, we tested Lysol, Pine Sol, and a petri dish without anything. We used swabs from our own mouths to then swab onto the cultures in the three dishes. The control dish of course was loaded with growth colonies like crazy, the lysol had maybe on little spot, and the old Pine Sol (1975) grew colonies of bacteria as much as the control plate without anything. So something major has changed under Clorox that has made it a disinfectant that can kill 99,9% of germs and bacteria, and now is approved for use against COVID 19. So maybe it doesn't smell or work the same, but it doesn't grow bacteria like it use to.

• Rapid Rabbit
    last year
    last modified: last year

There is nothing better than pine oil to drive flies and other bugs away from trash cans. Just an ounce and a half gallon of water in the bottom of the can will clear a huge area of flies. Such a pity it is no longer available. The stuff sold now is a cruel joke.