Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning a 'crushed granite' sink

Posted by conniertree (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 18:04

I have a "crushed" or "composite" granite sink. It looks whitish and dull. During the remodel of my kitchen the workers put lots of "stuff" in there. What's the best way to get my sink back to its clean black look?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning a 'crushed granite' sink

I have the Blanco Silgranite sink in anthracite which is black. I wash the sink throughly, dry and then apply mineral oil to it. I then wipe that off with a microfiber towel and it stays black for 2-3 months. I have really hard water so when it does turn gray I oil it. By wiping it down with the microfiber cloth there is NO greasy oily feeling to it.

o

Good Luck!! I regret buying my Silgranit because of the problems cleaning it. Mine is white. I swear it absorbs stains. Anyway, I've used many things, BarKeepers friend, Ajax etc. You might try a light spraying with pure bleach I've done that to get a rust stain out that a plastic coated grate left behind when it failed and that STILL didn't get the rust stain out. I'm told that Blanco, the manuf puts out a cleaner but I haven't contacted them yet or tracked it down since I don't have a lot of confidence that they have anything stronger that would actually work.

Can you let us know if you come across anything that works?

o

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, works great.

o

I have this exact sink. I love the farm style, it is roomy and deep. Though I do have hard water, and find my sink with a white film on it. I have also tried the mineral oil, but I am afraid of making a build up.

I will try the magic erasers, but am afraid of using them on many surfaces because they take the sheen off.

I might call Blanco and have them send me some of their cleaner. Or, better yet, the guy who installed my counter tops, who talked me into this sink, maybe if I call him and invite him out to scrub it, he won't be so pushy with a product next time.

o

Last time I Magic Erasered my sink I followed up with Sprayway Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish, because it contains oil. My sink looked fantastic after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here