Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carole88_2008

How to Clean Filthy Appliances

carole88_2008
15 years ago

I recently purchased a house and found that the appliances have not been cleaned regularly. I have tried Easy Off Bam and it is not doing the job. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am concerned about the outsides of the stove, refrigerator (including the grill on the bottom) and dishwasher. The appliances are about 12 years old; the appliances are grimy. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• alohamillion123
    15 years ago

You did not indicate what color the appliances are but considering their age (12 years) I will assume white.

On my white appliances, I use Magic Eraser and it has worked very well for grime. I cannot say whether it is a good or bad choice for grease build up.

Good luck!

• carole88_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are almond (I guess now they are called "bisque"). I will try the Magic Eraser--even if you are supposed to use it only on white, they can't get any worse. Thanks for the tip.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Greased Lightening is a favorite here too. I buy it at the hardware store in the cleaning aisle.

• mpp798
    15 years ago

I used magic eraser on the outside of my bisque refrigerator and it took some of the finish off. (it wasn't filthy)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    15 years ago

Try plain baking soda--just pour some on your wet sponge. I use this to clean my stovetop & it is amazing how it instantly removes grease etc & does not harm the finish.

• breenthumb
    15 years ago

This will cut right through it like magic, smells nice and non toxic. It comes out as a foam that you give a few seconds and you can actually see the foam turn yucky brown as it begins to break down and drip.

Don't let the initial price in the link turn you off. Thats for a case. The cans were under $4. locally. I did a lot of searching for this because I had one can that I've been hoarding for years but recently needed more for the same situation as yours. Selling a house where appliances are filthy (not mine.) You wouldn't believe what it took off the range hood, and window cranks caked with goo.

Go to products on right side of list, and put your zip code in to locate a store. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but believe me it will save you lots of time and aggravation.

What I found when I was searching for it on internet was its used a lot in bicycle and motorcyle shops, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crazy Clean

• breenthumb
    15 years ago

PS: Made by Sprayway, and its the red can with black lettering. Haven't tried any of their other products. Sandy

• cearab
    15 years ago

Another vote for Greased Lightening. It does a great job removing built up grease and dirt. I would spray it on and let it sit a few moments than paper towel off. You might want to wear gloves since it looks like you will be cleaning for a while!

• User
    15 years ago

Washing soda cuts grease and has many uses around the home without fumes etc.

Any product used should be given time to start breaking down the dirt/grease and also baking soda is a great grit additive on the scouring pads too, as mentioned above.

• chambleemama
    15 years ago

A strong solution of Charlie's All-Purpose has really done the trick for me.

• carole88_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'll try the baking soda first, since I already should have some (and hopefully can find it, which has been a problem since the move). This is my first time at this site and it looks like there's a lot of great information available. Thanks again.

• athomesewing
    15 years ago

Greasy Lighting, it even cleans the inside of our Weber BBQ!