Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Stainless Steel Range Top

Posted by gle2011 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 17:34

Hi,
We have a GE Cafe' natural gas range and the stainless steel surface that surrounds all of the burners my problem is the stainless steel around high BTU burner is discoloring and has a light brown rink around it.
I have tried warm soap and water, stainless steel cleaner and I can not remove the stain.
Any ideas what I might be able to use without damaging the stainless steel surface?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Stainless Steel Range Top

This is supposed to work, but I've never tried it. I haven't been able to find it in any store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceramabrythe

o

Have you tried a baking soda paste? I've had good success getting even grape juice and Koolaid stains out of white formica with it. It shouldn't hurt the range to give it a try (it's non-abrasive), it's cheap, you have it on hand.

o

This is what I use to clean all the SS appliances and it works really well on those brown rings around the burners on cooktop. Mix a solution of 60% water, 40% rubbing alcohol and a few drops of essential oil (I use lavender, but any essential scented oil will work). Put in a sprayer bottle. On those hard stains--spray, cover with paper towels soaked in the solution and return in a few hours to wipe.

On SS without stains, just spray and wipe with microfiber cloth. Inexpensive, spells good and does the job. The oil is crucial--just a few drops per 8 oz bottle.

o

The lavender oil did not work on my rings around the stove burners. I have a different brand of ss in another house and it does not get the brown around the rings. From reading the cleaning forum, I will NEXT put a paper towel under the ring and use Weimans or Barkeep.

o

I just tried white vinegar, and a lot of elbow grease. It cleaned some the discoloration around the burners but not the real dark brown that is close to the burners. On another posting some people recommended "Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner" I am trying that next. I'll keep you posted with the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here