Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove spots off table

Posted by nyrgirl35 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 17:04

How can I removed marks on my coffee table (when people put their feet up without sock or shoes). It looks like a white film left on wood from were the back of their heel was resting. It doesnt come off with regular furniture wood polish...thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove spots off table

Refinish the whole top of the table to fix it and always try putting an old pillow under our feet when we rest them on the table.

o

It's possible that the oils from the feet have eaten through the finish, but it may just be a reaction with the cleaners/oils that have been applied. First try cleaning off all the old polish and applying a good paste wax. If that doesn't help, you may well have to do a refinish job. Regular spray polish doesn't protect the wood finish as well as a good paste wax.

An option after you fix the spots is to have a glass top made for the table if it is a valuable piece and you can't get people to stop putting their feet up on the table. You could also consider replacing the coffee table with an ottoman.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax/Polish/Oil Article

o

What I have found that works for white rings left on wood surfaces from people not using a coaster, is spraying a bit of WD-40 on a rag and rubbing the area. I've done it on a oak wood veneer table and just fixed a spot on the oak TV stand. I didn't have any WD-40 handy, but used Liquid Wrench Super Lubricant and it worked just fine too.

You might try using one of those on an inconspicuous spot before trying them on the top. If you try it, please let me know how it works for you.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here