Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
handust

I hate having a cleaning service - is that weird?

Lisa
13 years ago

I've never posted in this forum before, used to post a bit in Kitchens back when we were doing a renovation. Came back to look into some cleaning tips and just to see if I am the only one who feels like I do.

I absolutely detest having a cleaning service, but I seem to be in the vast minority. Over the years I have tried different types of cleaning services -- individuals that came highly recommended, big commercial services, small business owners who clean but also employ a handful of people. While there is no denying that when the house is actually cleaned nicely for you, it feels wonderful and certainly frees up time, I am finding over and over again that the trade-offs of having cleaning people in my home just may not be worth it to me.

I have never, ever had a single cleaning crew who has not broken something, often several "somethings". Candles, vases, other knick-knacks -- they seem to be like bulls in a china shop, just bulldozing their way through trying to get the job done with no care taken whatsoever of what they are handling. One cleaning crew completely doused my bathroom in order to clean the floor -- literally spraying the shower sprayer onto the floor. It leaked through the floor, down into the ceiling and leaked all over the dining room table, temporarily shorting out a ceiling speaker. They sprayed Windex on my precious grand piano (on which NO cleaners are to be used, which I tried to tell them, but with the language barrier it clearly wasn't understood). This past week they decided to use my vacuum instead of theirs, and within 15 minutes had completely broken my $500 Dyson that had worked perfectly for six years.

Next, they are inconsistent. Stupidly on my part, after a two year hiatus (during which I did things myself), I decided to hire back the bathroom-floor-dousing crew, in part because they are so nice and because I have a disabled son who throws a lot of physical temper tantrums, often causing messes and damage. It is hard enough just to clean up his messes, I literally couldn't get to the day to day cleaning. This crew is nice, and relatively inexpensive for our area. After their initial mistakes previously, they had seemed to get on the ball a bit more. However, this time out has been atrocious. The owner came herself for the first time or two, then started sending different people every week, most of whom don't speak more than a word or two of English. Although we were supposed to have an established time of between 12-1:00 on Thursdays, they show up any time between 12:00 and 3:30, which means they end up staying into the evening, totally messing up our dinner schedule. Because different people show up, they all clean differently, using different cleaning solutions, some doing better than others. This past week, the upstairs didn't get mopped or dusted at all. The downstairs was "mopped", if you can call it that, but there was still large milk drops on the floor (my son had spilled some milk, and I left it as a test to see if they would bother to clean it up. They didn't.)

And to top it off, I can't deal with the invasion of privacy. The woman owner loves to organize, and the first time they came I wasn't quite prepared to have her deal with anything upstairs other than the bathrooms. I told her NOT to do the bedrooms, just the bathrooms. Several hours later, when I realized they were still upstairs, I went upstairs to see that she had taken it upon herself to completely dismantle my bedroom (which we had temporarily been neglecting as a junk room until I could organize things myself). They had completely emptied all the cabinets and drawers in our master bathroom, pulled things out of our master closet/dressing room, and our bedroom nightstands, etc. Everything I own, private or otherwise, had been rifled through, "organized", and put back in whatever way SHE deemed appropriate. I was so stunned, embarrassed and pissed that I just left the room, as the damage had already been done. They threw out things that I needed, they put things like my lotions and tampons under my husband's sink, and it took me 30 minutes to locate my blowdryer the next day because they put it in the BACK of the cabinet under my husband's sink UNDER boxes of other things that they threw together.

They are so concerned with things "appearing" neat, that if anything is laying out on a counter or table, they hide it. It then takes us forever to find things again, as there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to where they stuff things; they just want it to look good on the outside when they leave. Once they stuffed a rental movie from Blockbuster into a seldom-used drawer of cocktail napkins. It took us days to find the DVD and cost us late fees. We never know, when we can't find something, whether we misplaced it ourselves of if the cleaning ladies hid it.

I want to get rid of these people in the worst way, but I did have a very hard time keeping up with things when we had no one. Part of me says that it's better than nothing, but I have to wonder. I end up having to go around touching up everything they didn't do or only did half-a$$ed. One week they clean out the microwave, then they don't touch it again for weeks. Their mopping is the worst I've ever seen. And they annoy the crap out of me by talking and asking me a million questions about where things go, does this look clean enough, etc. Part of me wants to just leave when they're here, but then God knows what they would do or wouldn't do.

The obvious answer would seem to be to hire someone else. But I have had several other services, many highly recommended by discerning friends. They were all awful. I assure you that I am the furthest thing from a demanding, high-maintenance type -- my standards are honestly not terribly high. In our area, everyone ... EVERYONE has a cleaning person and would think me crazy for doing it myself. I just don't know if I will ever be able to find one that suits me. All I want is to have the same person or people come each week so that I don't have to worry about inconsistency, for them to be able to speak basic English, and not break or hide things.

I am about ready to accept that cleaning services just aren't for me. I've been getting more and more on a modified FlyLady regimen of my own design and am beginning to think that no one will ever do as good a job as I do. Yet people make me feel weird about NOT wanting a cleaning lady; most say they would do anything to have one, or would sooner lose a limb than their cleaning lady.

Is anyone else like me? Does anyone else PREFER to not have a cleaning service, even if it's within your reach? Sounds silly to be so befuddled over this, but I'm really beside myself about it. The broken vacuum was just about the last straw.

Comments (16)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Part of your problem is that you have a "crew" or a "service", when you need a "house cleaner" who is in business for him/herself.

That way you have a 1-on-1 relationship with the person you have interviewed and hired. You can assure yourself of the level on English spoken, and give specific orders.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I don't know what kind of cleaning services you have in your town, but here everything broken by the cleaners must be paid for by them. They should not be helping themselves to your appliances or anything else unless you have given your permission, and should clean only what you tell them to. It is all in the contract you sign or should be. If you don't have a contract then maybe you should look for one who does.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I use the term "crew" loosely. When I hired her, I was hiring HER, but she also works with her non-English speaking brother and has a couple other women who work for her. Both times I've hired Wilma, who is a warm and cheerful woman and a good, if nosy, cleaner, when she is here she is quite thorough. But just like most general contractors I've ever worked with, she kind of "gets the job started" and then little by little, she starts disappearing and sending a new person or persons in her place. It was never as formal as having any kind of contract, I got her straight from my neighbor who seems pleased enough with her, although I have to assume her needs are different from mine.

Anyway, it seems very clear that it's time to get a new cleaning person. I'd love to have just one person, but our house is somewhat large (for our area, anyway) and it is quite a lot for just one person; otherwise they are here for well past 5 hours, which is more than I can stand. I'm going to start getting some new recommendations and be very, very clear about my expectations up front.

I know that I should demand that she pay for my broken vacuum, I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it. I know the girl had no idea in the world how to use the Dyson (it's very different than your typical vacuum in how it hooks together). Heck, I haven't even seen Wilma herself for weeks to even TELL her that her employees broke something. Guess that's evidence enough that it's time to part ways.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Hiring cleaning staff saves you the energy of cleaning, but with the hiring comes the responsibility of supervising your staff.

It is unclear whether you are at home when they come or whether you are away at work. Either way, YOU need to establish the cleaning plan of what gets cleaned, how it is cleaned and who is doing the cleaning, and then you have to monitor them and intervene or provide feedback. It can be almost as much work as doing the cleaning yourself. If you are in the house, you should be checking on them every 20-30 minutes. Leaving them unattended for several hours when you are in the house with them is just crazy.

One way to reduce the uneven performance is to hire someone to do specific tasks, such as cleaning floors. Just floors, nothing else. Vacuum the rugs, mop the kitchen, mop the bathrooms, mop the foyer. Buy an inexpensive Hoover vacuum with an on-off switch. Hide the Dyson. Provide the cleaning products you want them to use.

There are good cleaning services out there that don't require this much supervision. Problem develop when there is staff turnover (usually due to poor salary), and a company that you cannot readily communicate with. I would fire this cleaning service company. But even someone who is doing a good job needs to be supervised. If you are uncomfortable with this, then you might be better off doing the work yourself.

• callie25
    13 years ago

I agree with lazygardens. You definitely need to be able to have a 1-on-1 relationship with a "housecleaner" who doesn't send out a different person or crew each time. You need to be able to "talk" with that person and "they" understand. When I go through a homeowner's home for the 1st time, I make notes of what they want done & what they DON'T want done (and I stick with that). Having someone "organize" your things when you don't want that is not acceptable of course. I would also be frustrated. Start over, find someone you can communicate with and make sure they have an understanding what "YOU" want. There surely is someone out there that will listen to your needs.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    13 years ago

I agree as well. Try to find someone who works "solo". Also, they should be using YOUR cleaning products and YOUR vacuum.

Here are some ideas to set up your house for cleaning.

- remove as much junk and clutter as possible from counters, tables, desks, nightstands, etc.... you can't expect someone to remove piles of papers on your kitchen counters when cleaning. Or clothes/towels/toys on the floor. Try to have the bathroom counters relatively clear.

(I had a job where I had to remove 26 bottles of stuff (shampoo,body wash) from the shower EVERY time I cleaned it) -- took a ridiculous amount of time.

-- another obvious, don't leave dishes in the sink and junk on the steps that someone needs to vacuum!

- insist they use YOUR vacuum. Most cleaners have seen a Dyson before. Every house has its own "smell" and you don't want a vacuum from a house where people smoke or have five pets being used in your house -- gross!

- keep supplies close by. Under the sink in EVERY bathroom should be a roll of paper towels, toilet bowl cleaner, whatever you want them to use on the counter, etc... By carrying cleaning products from room to room they can easily drip on your carpet.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Whew! After reading this I will never,never, ever hire any cleaning person or service! I'd rather DIM . Do It Myself.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Funny, my friend and I were just discussing this.

We are the only ones we know who do not have cleaning people. We seem unable to commit to it.

We both hate cleaning but hate when other people do it more. Crazy I know?!?

She and I both have our own individual reasons. Mine is that IÂm a control freak and I like things done a certain way. Every time I think about hiring people I get sweaty and canÂt do it.

As Westvillager says, maybe itÂs all in my head and I just need to get over the fact that no one will do it like me but something is better than nothing?

IÂve often thought even if they only do the bathrooms and floors that will be a start. WeÂll see ;) Â

Although, if they broke things and behaved like your people I would just lose my mind ... shiver ... I haven't heard many storeis like that (thank goodness).

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

I'm glad I just gave my cleaning lady a raise. She has never broken anything (that was her fault...my son left out his headphones partly hidden under the bed ...we you know what the sweeper did...) and she never misses a day. She cleans what I want, how I want and only with the materials I want. And, I pay her handsomely for her work.

I "clean up for the cleaning lady" every other week. Oh, yes my family has made big fun of me, but I don't expect her to clean what she cannot see. I pay for all the supplies so it's clear what she has to use. She uses all my equipment and I constantly look for items to make things easier for her cuz I want her around for another 10 years. Just last week I bought a Bona mop for our laminate. I did it mostly for her.

The key is to have mutual respect and open lines of communication. If things weren't done like I want, I wouldn't have the person(s) in my home. Period. The work would get split between my husband and I (my boys are grown) until I could find someone who meets my expectations.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. It does help me to know that one, I'm not the only one that find this level of "service" unacceptable, and two, that there are indeed people that would rather do the cleaning themselves.

I still have much to sort out as to whether I want to continue to try having a cleaning person or would rather do it myself. But in the meantime, we are going on vacation and I already planned to put them on hold for the time we are away and just a bit thereafter. Probably 3 weeks off altogether. That will give me time to access the feeling of NOT having a cleaning service. Assuming I still want to go that route, I plan to call Wilma and explain the situation. Despite everything, she is a very nice woman, and one that I actually trust (to my knowledge, theft is one problem I have not experienced with our current cleaners). To be fair, I have not really said much to convey how unhappy I am (in part because I've barely seen her in recent weeks). I'd like to give her the chance to improve things. I will make a list of the things I want addressed and make very sure that she understands what I'm looking for. After that, if I'm still unhappy at least I'll know I did everything in my power to articulate my expectations, and I'll feel free to move on. I got a few new referrals from some friends last night that I will hold onto.

I'll admit, I really do have to fight the feeling of not liking people in my house. In our house, my biggest problem is my own inconsistency. There are times when I enjoy cleaning and it almost feels cathartic. However, there are also times, due to our difficulties with our son, that it becomes nearly impossible to keep up and the house heads south VERY quickly. So until I can maintain some level of consistency on my own, I guess I'll have to continue on with a cleaning service. Perhaps if I spend a little time tweaking things, I'll end up being very happy.

Thanks again. :)

• andersons21
    13 years ago

Well, many people in my neighborhood hire a cleaning service, but I have preferred to do it myself so far. The quality of work of MOST cleaning services I have seen around here is very low. Not as bad as you describe -- that's ridiculous, and even more ridiculous to keep paying for it.

If I were to hire someone, I would look for someone who does all the cleaning themselves, or with the same crew every time. I would look for professionalism though. They should have insurance in case they break something valuable. I would interview them about how they would clean various things, and what-if scenarios. I would put in writing how I want things done and make sure a copy is out each time they come. I would not hire someone on an ongoing basis; I'd test them several times before any idea of a weekly commitment. I'd let them go after not fixing anything promptly that was unsatisfactory, or a few times in a row of sub-par service, or ruining anything...

Yes, I'm that much of a control freak. But it's my house, and I'm paying for it all. And I look at a situation like the $50-100 my MIL pays her cleaning lady every week to do nothing; the house is always filthy.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I have given up on hiring cleaners. Years ago, I used a couple of cleaning services. Both times, the manager came out and formulated a plan, went down a check list and committed to each task I wanted completed (even down to straightening the fringe on Oriental rugs after vacuuming--so detailed were they), and did the service. At each subsequent cleaning, one or more members of the crew was new and less and less got done. I didn't want an endless stream of strangers going through my home, a job less and less complete, and prices that were high and regularly went up. I also had individual cleaners, but they required so much training, repetition, and supervision, and often broke items or damaged fabrics by taking upon themselves to use solvents that they had been told not to use, but thought, oh, they'd just try it anyway, that I just gave up. Then there was the problem that they wanted to be paid in cash and I insisted on doing payroll and withholding, so some who had worked for others refused to work for me.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Years ago my Mom had a cleaning lady. The CL would move things, break items and hide them. A friend had a cleaning service. They insisted she stay upstairs while they cleaned downstairs and stay downstairs hile they cleaned upstairs. the nerve! I have a friend who cleans houses for a living. She charges $100 per house. She does such a good job she has a "waiting list" of customers. My SIL has a cleaning service. She (SIL) straightens the entire house before the service comes. So in effect she makes it "easy" for them. They just run through the house , dust and vacuum, wash a few surfaces,etc. She also gives them one "extra" job each week- clean the stove, clean the refrigerator, wash windows, etc. She is very happy with them. Of course, when they do the fridge she has already thrown out anything she doesn't want. So it runs the gamut. I would never want a cleaning lady. I want things done "my way". I'm very bossy. Just ask my husband. So I just don't want someone else cleaning for me. I know what I like and I'm physically capable of doing it all.

• krissie55
    12 years ago

I feel your pain! Been there, now back to cleaning our home myself. If I pay for the house to be cleaned, that is exactly what I expect to take place.

It takes too long, too much work to return a home back to the clean state after house cleaners that do not actually clean.

The definition of "clean" means different things to different people. Many people cleaners think if things are rearranged it looks neat and therefore is clean.

My definition of clean is.....no dust remaining on objects or horizontal surfaces. In other words their cleaning would pass a white glove test.

Stirring the dust versus removing the dust is not the same thing. Wetting the floors versus removing dirt is not the same thing, etc.

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Years ago I worked 4 days for a cleaning service company.
    Why 4 days? They literally rushed through each place. Most
    wanted to get back to the office, unload cleaning supplies
    and get home before their kids got home from school. All I
    ever heard was to work faster.
    After that I cleaned houses for myself, took my time, didn't
    have to put up with being rushed. I did that for years, got
    customers through word of mouth, they paid less money and I
    made more money.