Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maimie_gw

Select-a-size paper towels

maimie
15 years ago

I don't know about anyone else but I think these "select-a-size" pt are a huge rip off! When I try to rip off 2 perforated edges, I always end up w/3. Trying to do 1, usually ends up w/2, if not 3. I now shop for paper towels that do not have this "convenience" added. If I'm alone in my opinion in this forum, forgive me but everyone I know personally says the same thing. We all hate them! Your opinions?

Comments (20)

• jannie
    15 years ago

Personally, I like the "select a size". It takes a sharp sideways tug to get just one sheet, but that is often all I need. All I can say is, once you master the "sideways tug", it becomes easy to control how many sheet(s) rip off.

• graywings123
    15 years ago

They would be a value if they cost the same as regular paper towels, but they seem to be priced higher.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Yeah, they ought to be the same price. You should pay for total yardage, not the placement of the perforations.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

I never had a problem with them tearing poorly, BUT I did think they were way too expensive in comparision to the regular paper towels. So I quit using them.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Where is the savings? I bought a jumbo pack, got 16 rolls for $4.99. That works better than buying one or two rolls at a time. I store them in the bathroom on a shelf.

• cynic
    15 years ago

Everyone I know likes the SAS towels but are not happy about the price. Jannie, what kind of towels and where did you get them for that price? I always buy big packs of paper products. Walgreens has a dcent deal on the SAS towels, their own brand but they're still about $1/roll, although they're large rolls. Otherwise you can buy an 8 pk of "regular" towels for the same price as a 6 pk of SAS.

I do use far less of SAS though. One roll lasted nearly 3 months in the kitchen! Often I use the 1/2 sheet. With "full" sized I'd often tear off part of a towel. And I don't know anyone who has trouble tearing them. Occasionally with any perforated paper you get more (or less) than you wanted to tear off.

• jannie
    15 years ago

I wait for sales and I buy in bulk. I bought Bounty SAS on sale for $4.99 at Super Stop and Shop in East Northport NY. I bought 2 jumbo packs, threw them in my garage until I needed one package inside. I brought one in and left the other outside in the garage. I worry about storing things in my garage. It's attached to my house but there's no direct connection. The lock on the garage broke over a year ago. Anyone could open the garage and steal anything that's in there. Snow shovels, lawn mower,many cases of soda, and my Bounty towels.

• texanjana
    15 years ago

I can't stand them, and sometimes they are all I can find. Just give me regular, white paper towels!

• ebear1271
    15 years ago

Dilly Dally, what a great idea! I just buy the regular paper towels but I usually don't need a whole sheet so I either end up wasting it or I tear jagged pieces off. I'm going to give it a try, what do you use to cut the roll in half? Maybe a bread knife? Thanks!

• chambleemama
    15 years ago

I worked a catering job on Friday, and the select-a-size paper towels drove me nuts. I wanted a serious towel, and I kept getting the half size, until I stopped and used two hands very carefully.

At home, I use white terry bar mops (which we buy at Home Depot or Lowes--cheap!) instead of paper towels for most uses, probably 95%. I toss them into a hamper all day as I use them, and every couple of days, I wash them in very hot water, with bleach, and either dry them on the line or in a hot dryer.

Bar mops start as BBQ napkins for our parties, then they move to family napkins and kitchen towels, and as they get stained or ratty, they move to cleaning rags/paper towel substitutes. As I quickly fold them, I sort them by their appearance.

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Posted by ebear1271: Dilly Dally, what a great idea! I just buy the regular paper towels but I usually don't need a whole sheet so I either end up wasting it or I tear jagged pieces off. I'm going to give it a try, what do you use to cut the roll in half? Maybe a bread knife? Thanks!

A saw.

I picked up a cheap fine toothed saw at the dollar store. Its small and fits in my kitchen drawer. I originally bought the saw for something else but got the idea for cutting a roll of paper towels in half from here at GW I think. I think it was in the *Money Saving Tips* forum. Maybe not. I wish could take credit for the idea but it came from some "Tips" website somewhere.

You could try a bread knife but I think it should be one of those newer Ginsu style knives that are not so jagged.

• southboundtrain
    15 years ago

I had to laugh at this one. The first time I used "Select-a-size" I thought it a wonderful invention. Then I bought a roll and quickly learned to hate them for the same reasons as Maimie. I kind of like the idea of bar wipes as napkins and paper towels. I eye them often at Costco. But, for now, give me plain white Bounty (Costco's are just too big) with the Costco coupon!

• marie26
    15 years ago

I've been buying the blue shop towels at Costco. Does anyone know if these are unsafe to use if they come in contact with food?

• vicki7
    15 years ago

I, too, hate the 'select-a-size' paper towels for the same reasons as most of you. And while I'm complaining about paper towels... why why why do the manufacturers feel they must put prints on the towels that look like they belong in a newborn baby's nursery??? I mean, teddy bears, abc's, etc. are not exactly the decor in most people's kitchens. Now, most of the time I buy plain white, but it would be nice now and then to find a print that wasn't pink-and-aqua.

• snowflakelover
    15 years ago

I accidentally bought the select-a-size towels when I was in a rush at the Wal-mart. I really dislike them as well. I like the plain regular paper towels. My husband bought the blue shop paper towels for his car. I ran out of paper towels one day and stole them out of his car. They are so awesome! Especially for cleaning my sliding glass door.

• maimie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well thank goodness someone else agrees w/me! I too hate the printed paper towels. If I want to add "decor" it's not going to be on paper towels. I specifically look for plain white & not sas. I find I use my microfiber clothes much more often & just wash them frequently. If we all stop buying them; they'll stop making them or at least make regular size & plain white more available. Thanks for the feedback. Maimie

• telly2
    15 years ago

I like the select-a-size towels, but I think maybe it has to do more with your towel dispenser: mine is free-standing, heavy, & designed to be used with only one hand,so that towels come off the roll slowly. I can always control how many towels are torn off each time, and I find I use a lot less of the SAS kind.
    That said, I'm also a huge fan of white bar mops, and I buy them in quantity. I launder them just like chambleemama said.

• Dawn Hall Calkins
    2 years ago

I hate rhem

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

"Dawn Hall Calkins", after 13 years, is that all you have to say?