Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
40 Mule Team Borax

Posted by reader77 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 15:37

I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes (new design - coincidence?) have been filled with huge lumps that I have to pound out with my meat tenderizer.

After buying the first lumpy box, I called their toll free number. The rep said the problem was probably caused by where the store had stored the boxes - too damp, etc. She sent me some coupons.

The next 2 boxes I bought at different stores - just opened one today which I had stored in garage so it was not near any water. The lumps are even bigger!

I do use cold water mostly, but even using hot water does not dissolve these lumps. Since they don't seem to be taking care of this problem, I need to switch products. Does anyone have a suggestion - Oxyclean??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 40 Mule Team Borax

I haven't seen Twenty (40?) Muleteam Borax on sale for years. I used to use it for scrubbing floors and as a laundry additive. Where do you find it?

o

The box of Borax (don't know how many mules though...HA) that I bought was also all lumpy! I just crumble it up before I put it in the wash. I think that Oxyclean is about the same but don't hold me to it. They have Borax for sale all over the place jannie...you probably just aren't looking for it.

o

It is 20 Mule Team Borax (made by Henkel).

Borax and Oxyclean are not the same thing (chemically different).

Borax, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. It is usually a white powder consisting of soft colorless crystals that dissolve easily in water.

20 MULE TEAM Borax acts as a water conditioner, boosting the cleaning power of detergent by controlling alkalinity, deodorizing the clothes and aiding the removal of stains and soil.

Humidity will also cause clumping. It doesn't have to be near water. My basement is humid and if I don't put things in sealed containers they will absorb moisture from the air.

Oxyclean contains mostly sodium percarbonate (an oxygen bleaching agent).

Sodium percarbonate is a chemical, an adduct of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide (a perhydrate), with formula Na2CO3 � 1.5H2O2. It is a colorless, crystalline, hygroscopic and water-soluble solid.[1] It is used in some eco-friendly cleaning products and as a laboratory source of anhydrous hydrogen peroxide.

Sodium percarbonate is very neat stuff. It is a powder that releases hydrogen peroxide, and it is very concentrated.

Oxygen bleaches are materials that release oxygen for cleaning and bleaching of stains and dirt upon addition to water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Henkel - Guide to borax

o

Jannie, our Target stores carry it- it's usually tucked onto one of the lower shelves on the long divider aisles by the laundry area, rather than in the regular laundry aisles. There's only one row in our stores, so it's easy to miss.

o

livebetter: Thanks for explaining difference between Borax and bleach products. I knew the Borax didn't contain bleach.

This last box had huge lumps, and since I mostly use cold water, even small ones don't dissolve. So I spent a lot of time, breaking them up and putting the Borax into plastic containers. This box had much bigger lumps than previous ones.

I still don't understand why after so many years this problem has arisen.

o

It's humid where I live so I don't think I've ever seen Borax *without* lumps:-)

It's much more popular now than about 10 years ago because of the movement toward more environmentally friendly cleaners. At that time, I was more like to to find it at the really simple, old-fashioned, locally-owned grocery store (the one that doesn't carry fresh parsley, never mind cilantro or anything 'extravagant' like that!). Now most places do seem to have it (with the cleaning, usually laundry products) but as someone else said...on the bottom shelf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here