Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wakefield52_gw

detergent for Jenn Air stainless dishwasher?

wakefield52
9 years ago

Reading reviews I am now concerned that I ordered all Jenn Air appliances except for the cooktop but that being said----suggestions for dishwasher detergent for dishwasher with stainless steel interior? Our sales person said not to use powder but to use those little cube things. Now I have not had a dishwasher in 2 years so I am out of the loop and am premature in wondering about the detergent. The back hoe arrived yesterday so the trenches are in place waiting for inspection and then the concrete should hopefully be poured on Friday. And so it begins!!!!!!!

Comments (6)

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

Check the use and care manual for your Jenn Air for their recommendations and follow them.

I recently got a new Bosch dishwasher and the manufacturer recommends dry Finish detergent or detergent tabs (which I've never used because it's more expensive) and liquid rinse aid in the dispenser. The "pods" are NOT recommended for use in this particular Bosch.

The Bosch has that information posted clearly just as you open the door - where the control buttons are located. One tablespoon of dry detergent will clean a full load and the cup holds a maximum of 3 T., so filling the cup, for our use, would be using waaaaaaaaaay too much and wasting it. Using too much detergent can damage the dishwasher.

Enjoy your new dishwasher :-).

-Grainlady

• rrah
    9 years ago

Personally I think the manufacturer recommendations for a specific brand are related to marketing and business partnerships more than what is the "best" detergent. I ignore those brand recommendations.

The one thing I do know is that appliance sales people and repair people have always told me not to use a liquid. The liquids contain a wax or something that eventually creates clogs or other problems. I've never tried the tabs because I assume they also contain some kind of waxy substance. I've received free ones in the mail and toss them out. They also seem like a waste of money to make an easy task easier. (Same thing for the laundry pods).

I've had a stainless interior Bosch for a couple of decades now. I've always used powdered Cascade and a separate rinse agent. Periodically I run a quick cycle with a cup of vinegar. The interior still looks great.

BTW--when I bought my first Bosch, I was concerned that it only had a single compartment for detergent. The sales person explained that most manufacturers put two compartments in so that "they" could sell more detergent. It's unnecessary to use both compartments. I've tried using a single compartment in vacation rentals. Dishes were always clean. I don't know if the Jenn Air has one or two compartments.

• emma
    9 years ago

That one tablespoon of detergent does not work for me in dishwashers. I end up with lip prints and milk film on my glasses. I have two cups in my dishwasher and I fill them full and I have nothing left on any dishes. Also don't rinse your dishes. The food left on them will give the detergent something to cling to and it will do it's job better. Do scrape the chunks off if you want to. All of my dishes come clean after doing those to things.

I tried cutting back on my laundry detergent on recommendation in here and my husband's shirts stunk something awful. Went back to using recommendations in the washing machine manual. No problem anymore.

• wakefield52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all of you! We will not get the kitchen installed till November but I am trying to "put all my ducks in advance" so appreciate your help. When I did have a dishwasher I always used Cascade powder but it did not have a stainless interior. That is why I was questioning.
    I have never used liquid but I will share this with you. I have an old Maytag Washer and Dryer. I was getting a horrible moldy smell. The Maytag man took it apart and you should have seen the "gunk". He told me to only use powder as liquid detergent "gunks" up the machine and doesn't disolve so I have been using powder for a long time in the washer and it is just fine.

• emma
    9 years ago

Check your manual, it would surely warn you if any thing would damage it.

I don't think they would make a dishwasher that couldn't take every dishwasher product on the market. They just can't do that it is not practical.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

I use Ecover tablets - nontoxic, eco-friendly, truly unscented and work just as well as Cascade Complete packs - the "plastic" wrap dissolves off those types but apparently can cause drain clogs- or the horrible Finish tablet things.I bought "free and clear" Finish once, what a joke- it still stunk of perfume. I am so sick of companies saying something is unscented and then including fragrances. I have a Bosch with SS tub and it works great. I use the Ecover rinse aid as well. I don't want residue of dyes and toxic chemicals on my dishes.

I no longer have hard water - at our previous home we did and I had to use Lemishine additive and Rinse Aid, then everything was clean and clear with no buildup.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling