Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver flatware has terrible odor

Posted by janrita (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 14:50

I have an old set of sterling silver flatware. It was in the box for a very long time. The silver (and the box) has a terrible odor. I have washed it, polished it and soaked it in water and baking soda. I have soaked it in clorox and repolshed it when it tarnished. NOTHING WORKS!

Can anyone help? Has anyone else ever even heard of
this issue????
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver flatware has terrible odor

Polish it with silver polish....NOT baking soda or clorox or anyother soaking/dipping thing...polish it with Wrights Silver Polish, ot International silver polish or Twinkle Silver polish....then wash it with a dish detergent like Dawn or Palmolive, Ivory etc.
The smell you detect is from the baking soda and whatever else you have soaked it in....sort of a sulfur smell?
And put it into a new plastic tray and cover it with a piece of Pacific Cloth.
And....are you sure it's sterling and not silver plate?

Linda C

o

Sigh. Thank you for your note. Actually I have already done all of the above. The efforts noted in my posting were to get rid of an existing odor. So, thank you anyway...

o

Don't you think that the smell/odor is coming from that old musty silverware box? You should chunk it and buy a new box...surely the silver won't stink after it's been polished.

o
RE: Silver flatware has terrible odor again...

Does the silver smell if you leave it out on the table all night? Suppose you wrap it in a clean dish towel and leave it out of the box for 5 or 6 days....then does it stink?
If it does, it's the silver itself and either base metal, as I said are you sure it's sterling? If the smell goes away when you do thsoe things it's the box that smells.
You ask has anyone ever heard of this problem...
Yes, but never with sterling. Plated ware can smell when it begins to get worn to base metal in some spots.
Linda C

o

Have you tried warm water with mild phosphate free detergents. It might help (^_^)

Here is a link that might be useful: sterling silver flatware

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here