Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Cleaning interior of a countertop oven

Posted by summerstar (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 14:45

I have a Breville compact oven. They suggest cleaning it after every use. In a perfect world this may be possible, but I don't have the time to do this. I use this great little oven to cook chicken among other things, so there is a build up of greasy splatters. Breville suggests using a sponge and a dishwash detergent, but these items are too mild and won't take off splattered grease. What has worked for you? I'd sure appreciate suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Cleaning interior of a countertop oven

You might try a degreaser. You can find them at big box hardware stores like Home Depot. It comes in a 1 gallon concentrate that you can dilute to your needs.

The other option is one of the traditional oven cleaners.

RE: Cleaning interior of a countertop oven

The splattered grease is harder to remove once the oven cools and the grease hardens. If you wipe it with a paper towel as you are cleaning up the dishes, the grease should still be soft enough to come off easily.

RE: Cleaning interior of a countertop oven

Use a good strong spray cleaner like "Cinch" or "Formula 409" or "Fantastic" and spray when the oven is somewhat cooled off. Better to do a little cleaning every day than to have to tackle a masive job less frequently. Use paper towels.

RE: Cleaning interior of a countertop oven

If the oven has hard baked on food/grease, try putting a bowl of ammonia inside and leave overnight. Next day clean out the softened grime.

I would do this outside in order to keep the strong fumes out of the house.

After cleaning, always use a damp paper towel to clean out splatters after each use. A quick wipe every meal used will prevent or extend time before next major cleaning.

Aluminum foil works great on drip pan (change often), and maybe other areas of the oven in order to reduce cleaning splatters. Use this cautiously, sometimes aluminum foil can become fused onto things if left on too long.

An ounce of prevention is worth a lot!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here