Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleaning old stained china

Posted by maimie (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 12 at 14:01

Not sure if this is the right forum but I have a very old set of china trimed w/22k gold. The center of each piece has a small pastoral scene & then is white to the border. Thru the years some of the pieces, in the white area, have dark discoloration--not sure if it's mold or what. Does anyone know how to clean this so the center white area looks as lovely as the rest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleaning old stained china

Check the china in a very good light and see if there are any hairline cracks in the glaze. Look hard, maybe with a magnifying glass, crazing cracks are difficult to see with the naked eye.

If there are any cracks, tiny or larger, liquid can get under the glaze and cause it to discolor.

DO NOT eat out of dishes if they are cracked/crazed. Germs collect in the cracks.

Beautiful dishes past their prime for eating out of make great decorating items.

My daughter has her grandmother's small size platter she always served southern fried chicken on displayed in her kitchen top of a cabinet with other items. The platter was used to heat food in the oven (not oven proof) and had crazed all over with several dark spots where liquid, etc. seeped under the glaze. It is beautiful decor and a reminder of yesteryear cooks.

Remember, in yesteryear days cooks used crazed dishes and thought nothing about it. They also kept food in a warming oven above the wood stove. No, they did not get sick from the germs because their bodies had adjusted to germs over the years. People of today do not have that built up immunity.

o

I have some old Ironstone that has dark spots on it. I have heard that peroxide...the strong kind like you buy in beauty supply places...like Sally's...will clean it, but I haven't tried it yet.

o

Thank you both for your comments. I had looked forward to using this china for a Xmas dinner w/my family since my adult kids remember this from childhood. I am moving w/10 days so will take the time to look harder at this china when I move & get settled. Thank you again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here