Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annika_s

Deposit ring in toilet bowl

annika_s
13 years ago

My 1930s white porcelain toilet bowls have a faint gray deposit ring at the waterline. I use the Soft Scrub with bleach and it removes the mildew ring, but the (calcium?) deposit ring stays. I'd like to get rid of the deposit because it attracts mildew to grow more easily. Would CLR possibly get rid of this? I don't want to spend money on scary chemicals if I don't think they'll work. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• krissie55
    13 years ago

Pour a bucket of water in the toilet bowl to remove water and then put "Lime-A-Way" on the deposit ring and inside of bowl. Let stay on for a little while and then scrub bowl. If some remains, repeat.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Buy a pair of rubber gloves and a pumice stone and stick your hand in the toilet and gently rub the stone against the mineral deposit to remove it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumice stone

• arizonny
    13 years ago

Drywall sandpaper. Works in no time flat.

Here is a link that might be useful: See here

• annika_s
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pumice stone/drywall sandpaper won't harm the porcelain or scratch it though?

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I doubt sandpaper could scratch a porcelain toilet. Some people warn that a pumice stone can scratch, but I've used them on several toilets without any damage; the pumice stone softens a bit in the toilet water. Just take it easy.

Even through the rubber glove, you can feel the ring in the toilet. You want to scrape with the stone just long enough so that you can't feel the ring.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

The fine drywall sandpaper will not scratch. Pumice will in my experience. I buy these at Ace Hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaw's Pads

• annika_s
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok - thanks for the tips.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

Drywall sandpaper nor pumas should not scratch a 1930 toilet. I would not recommend it for a 21st century toilet without a trial somewhere.

• arizonny
    13 years ago

Curious as to whether or not anyone has tried the drywall sandpaper as I suggested. How did it work for you if you did? I can't imagine anyone having harder water than I do in Phoenix and it works like a charm for me.

• Lisa
    13 years ago

Just last weekend I used a pumice stick on our 3 year old Kohler toilets to remove rings (our water is ridiculously hard), and it worked beautifully in just seconds. I took care to be gentle and concentrate JUST on the rings, and I did not notice any scratching or damage at all.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I have used vinegar but not sure it would be strong enough for these rings you are describing. I pour a few cups in the toilet to lift the water line above the ring and let sit for several hours. I then use a nylon scrubbing pad and it usually comes out perfect (using rubber gloves of course).

Let us know what you do and how it works!

• blairgirl
    13 years ago

I have brand new toilets, but the old hard water ring winds up back, no matter what I do. I use a pumice stone, with excellent results and zero scratches.

The only trick to the pumice stone (aside from only using enough pressure to get rid of the ring) is to WET it before you use it. Works in seconds, and if your water is like mine, you'll only have to do it two or three times a year.

• tpalazzo_aol_com
    12 years ago

I tried the pumice after working on it with everything. I was a little worried as it is an expensive bowl and I didn't want to scrath it. It worked great. No scrathcing and it took only a few minutes.

• Rumpboogie
    10 years ago

I had a tough, thick, rough, hard, brown mineral deposit in the very bottom of my toilet bowl. Pumice stone would not touch it. Left it soak in white distilled vinegar over night. The vinegar didnâÂÂt even touch it. Left it soak in CLR over night. CLR didnâÂÂt touch it. Lime Away? What a joke! I saw someone talking about Zep acidic toilet bowl cleaner on-line, and how good it was, so went to Home Depot and got a jug. I did just as before ⦠got all of the water out of the bowl and filled the bottom of the bowl with Zep up to just above the level of the mineral deposit. Four hours later the mineral deposit was GONE. VANISHED. I flushed the toilet and it was as clean as brand new. Not a bit of scrubbing. Zep Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner is AWESOME.

• emma
    10 years ago

I would think it would scratch the porcelain. The old porcelain sinks would scratch with scouring powder like comet.

After it is cleaned make sure you clean the stool once or twice a week and you won't have that problem anymore. I use cheap dish washing liquid to keep the stools clean in my home. My plumber said I have the cleanest bathroom he has every worked in. LOL

This post was edited by EmmaR on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 11:16

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler