Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning kitchen floor grout lines

Posted by mike_home (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 13:08

I have 12 inch tiles in my kitchen. The grout lines are 1/4 inch wide in a medium gray. After several years, the grout has become a dark gray from embedded dirt. I tried scrubbing some lines with a scrub bruch with Tide and water. It looks better, but this is very labor intensive considering I have about 600 square feet of tile area.

Is there a floor machine I can use for this purpose? It is going to require some type of scrubber. What about a steam type machine? Anyone have success with these? Also if I were to do it by hand, can someone suggest a good cleaning solution or product for this type of cleaning?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning kitchen floor grout lines

Also if I were to do it by hand, can someone suggest a good cleaning solution or product for this type of cleaning?

A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser - or one of the knockoffs.

o

I second the Mr. Clean Magic Erasor. I have the same sized tile and grout on my kitchen floor except my grout USED to be white. I CRIED when I saw how easily the erasor brought it back to new looking.

o

I find Mr Clean eraser to work great on most things but have not found it to work so well on white grout which I hae in my bathrooms.
In my kitchen, I had medium gray grout which I let become dark gray (I didn't fight it) and I think that is one of my best decisions I have ever made with the house!
"Ok so now I am going to have at it again at the supposed to be white grout in the bathrooms.>

o
bathroom grout stains (urine)

Men and boys in the house -- need suggestions (products) to clean white grout near/around the toilets.

Never again white grout in the bathrooms but for now it is what it is ....

Thanks!

o

When I had my bathroom remodeled, they put in 12 inch blue floor tiles and put gray coloring in the grout. It looks okay and doesn't require a lot of cleaning. Once a week I go over it with my Swiffer Wet Jet.

o

I think the grout gets quite dirty from when I wash the floor and the little bit of damp on the tiles will drain down to the grout, dry there, and build up a dark line. I learned to wipe down my tile floor with an old towel to prevent this from happening and that took care of my problem with the grout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here