Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry3_gw

makeup on towels

sherry3
14 years ago

We have a lot of guests and they often remove their makeup on our white towels. It does come out but someone mentioned to me that there is a product made, some sort of small towel which is intended to use as makeup towels, and which says on it something like "makeup towel" or "makeup removal towel."

Is anyone familiar with this?

Comments (10)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I've seen them in hotels; they usually are a different color than the white hotel towel. It would be easier to get a box of disposable make-up removing towelettes and place prominently on the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olay make up removal cloths

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    14 years ago

My MIL had the same problem with 2 stepdaughters who left mascara on the towels every time they came over. She wasn't too open to my suggestions--such as get some dark towels (navy, burgundy) or supply makeup towelettes, or similar-- and finally they grew up and don't stay over much anymore.

Here's what I don't understand about make-up habits. If you have water-soluble make-up, you wash and rinse until it's gone, before you dry off on the towel. If you have waterproof, you ought to have your own removal routine--cold cream or oil free or whatever, and then you wash and rinse, etc. What's with guests, or family members, of any sort who just wipe their make-uppy faces on white towels? Who is that "unaware"--are these young girls, or grown women that ought to know better? Or do they just use their towels at home that way and take the consequences?

• mrsdymacek
    14 years ago

Frankie, it's easier said than done - and sometimes the weary traveler needs a helping hand.

I have seen these in hotels too. But short of getting some custom embroidered, I wouldn't know how to get one.
    I keep a basket of pretty toiletries accessible to guests and include some of those Dove or Aveeno just-add-water towelettes. You can get them at Walmart or any drugstore.
    http://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Remover-Towelettes-cleansing-towelettes/dp/B000H3GT3W

Also, as long as it is a white towel, I have had great success using Cascade as a stain remover. It will bleach anything else but it works perfectly on white towels!

Maybe by providing the makeup remover wipes, the guests will get the hint, then the stain you have will at least be minimized. Good Luck!

• sherry3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Almay towelettes may be a temporary solution although I was hoping for something that was a little more eco-friendly. I guess you can't have everything.

As for behavior modification for guests, especially teenagers, surely you jest!!

It's not that the stains don't come out, it's that guests just are't sure what to use when the choice is a white washcloth. And frankie, there is always a little residue that you can't be sure came out so I don't really blame our guests. I am simply trying to provide them with the best options while they are staying here. Someone told me they had seen a washcloth labeled "makeup towel" in someone's home, and I thought someone on this board might also have seen it. I couldn't find it on an internet search.

• mrsdymacek
    14 years ago

Then someone must have found it in a boutique or had is custom made. I'm sure it wouldn't be too pricey if you bought the towel and took it to a local embroiderer. Ah... teenagers.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Here you go - found this by googling "make up towel."

Here is a link that might be useful: Make up towels on Ebay

• sherry3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Graywings: thanks so much for the link to the ebay listing. I don't know why I didn't think to look there but that's what I was looking for.

• fuzzywuzzer
    14 years ago

At our house we have a handful of cheap white washcloths that are used by family for makeup removal. I always travel with one from home so as not to soil my hostess's towels.
    FW

• chickadeead
    14 years ago

Here is a link to "wonder cloths" on the BB&B website. I have one of these and it works well (although it is a bit pricey). I think fuzzywuzzer's suggestion of using plain white, inexpensive wash cloths is a good one too.

Here is a link that might be useful: wonder cloths

• sherry3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The suggestions of cheap white towels or disposable towelettes just won't work with guests. They are fine if you are the one using them but that is not my problem. The towels on ebay are perfect and they are on their way to me now! They are black and say "makeup" in blue stitching. No guest can be confused and they don't require any explanation. I think our guests will be totally comfortable with this solution. Thanks for everyone's input.