Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidihohum

burnt pan

HeidiHoHum
18 years ago

I have stainless steel pans. I was making carmelized pecans the other day, the pan got too hot, the brown sugar burned, and now the pan is BLACK. I have soaked and soaked to no avail. I don't want to mess this pan up since it is brand new. Any helpful hints for how to get this burned on brown sugar off of my pan? Thanks a bunch!!

Comments (15)

• jonsgirl
    18 years ago

What I do is take a small handful of Tide (powder) and put it in the burnt pan with some water, put it on the stove and bring it to a boil...the stuff usually just liquifies and you can pour it right out. This is gentler to your pan than scraping and scouring it. Good luck!

• socks
    18 years ago

I do pretty much the same but with automatic dishwashing detergent. Let it simmer a bit, set a bit and it should come out pretty easily. (Just don't forget and let it cook dry like I do!!!)

• HeidiHoHum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried both and neither worked completely. I still have some stubborn spots that just do not seem to want to give up! I tried using an SOS pad also but that didn't do the job either on those persistent spots.

I am going to keep boiling and scrubbing though. I will not accept defeat!

Thanks again:)

• wannadanc
    18 years ago

My friend, Connie, suggests trying Dip-it - get water boiling, take off heat, add Dip-it. OR even cream of tartar - but the consensus here is that nothing will work w/ one try only.

good luck

Vicki

• HeidiHoHum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

SUCCESS!!! It took alot of elbow grease but I got the pan clean. I kept boiling, scrubbing, boiling, scrubbing until finally I was able to use the edge of a spoon to gently scrape the remaining spots off. Man that was hard work. I think I will be MUCH more careful when cooking with the pots and pans now :-)

Thanks for all the tips!
    Heidi

• downtowner
    18 years ago

In the past it has been suggested that you leave a fabric softener sheet in water overnight.

Never tried it myself.

• jannie
    18 years ago

I did the same thing about a year ago. Bought a bottle of cheap store-brand sudsy ammonia. Pour in on full-strength, then seal in a plastic bag and let it soak 24 hours or longer. Most of the black stuff lifted right off, I did a second treatment and it was perfect!

• HeidiHoHum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am keeping these suggestions taped to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets...hopefully I will not ever have to try them, but realistically I am sure I will burn again!

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

• jannie
    18 years ago

Me too. The pot I ruined was my spaghetti pot. I threw a handful of salt in it and set it on the gas burner- no water! What was I thinking???

• melissag
    18 years ago

Anyone know if this stuff works with the LeCruset pots and pans? I have a few that I have inadvertently burned and feel horrible. My mom gave them to me and I know that as stone ware they will last a long time, I just would love to have them clean.

• delia49091_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I burned a pan very badly ... scraped off the very worst and then soaked in just enough Coca Cola to cover the burnt parts...within a few hours the pan was easily scrubbed clean. Don't see why this wouldn't work on glass pans also. All you do is let it sit!!!!

• johnapos_quickleen_com_au
    13 years ago

Quickleen will remove ANY stain or burn from stainless steel. Order now

Here is a link that might be useful: Quickleen

• ebrahana_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I burned a pan very badly with brown sugar ... scraped off the very worst and then soaked in just enough vinegar to cover the burnt parts and boiled ...within a few hours the pan was easily scrubbed clean.

• Omelet
    11 years ago

I burnt applesauce and now the charred sugar is stuck to the pot. I tried boiling water and boiling water with dish soap in it. I scraped with plastic "flipper" because my pot is anodized aluminum. Not much came off. I am afraid to put anything harsh in it, like oven cleaner. Anyone have more ideas?

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I find letting it sit with a sprinkling of comet, soft scrub, or something else with a little clorox in it and it comes off very easily.

Will have to try Tide or fabric softener in the future!