Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toile_gw

mr clean magic erase question

toile
15 years ago

I read so many posts about the eraser here. I love it too but have a question.

I dont like using mine because they form a powder that gets on me, my eyes, and the floor. I have even breathed some of the dust into my lungs.

What am I doing wrong?

I want to try a couple on my shower doors and some of that will be over head etc...?

Comments (22)

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

It needs to be used WET! Read the directions before using. If used wet there will be no dust at all.

The sponge is actually a very fine abrasive, and when used wet it will not scratch things.

• gideonsmom
    15 years ago

My son crayoned my white linen chair. Blue crayon. The magic eraser got it out. I was amazed. I love those things!!!! :)

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

They are fantastic! I have been using them since they first hit the market so I have learned a lot places to use them. Most recently -- to clean the stainless steel kitchen sink and tile grout.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Great on tile grout. DD moved into a home that had not been well kept. I just touched a wet magic eraser to the dirty grout on the tile vanity top, and it turned white before my eyes. No elbow grease at all.

• cearab
    15 years ago

I bought one of those Magic Erasers. It's been in the pantry for a year. Not to sound ignorant, but how do you use it and what do you use it on. It just looks like a block of foam. What's all the excitement about?

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Cearab, Open the box of ME, use them, then you can answer your own question.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

One of my favorite uses is cleaning the washing machine agitator. Where the water height is I always get a dirty, greasy ring, and this comes right out with a Magic Eraser. Also, they helped clean the pool chair's vinyl straps.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Seriously! Does no one ever read the instructions on the box?

Why buy a cleaning product if you have no clue how to use it, or even what it is used for?

• toile
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wanted to add that I threw my boxes away in some sort of closet organization moment....Thats why I was using mine wrong LOL.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

I would never use the ME on finished wood, painted wood, or walls. It scratches and if the light hits the area you will see it. I've used it very wet, and same thing. If the light doesn't hit the area you don't know the damage that has been done.

I will not allow another ME in my house period.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Using ME successfully on painted walls is predicated on the paint finish. I had amazing results on some walls and found that I couldn't use it on other walls.

It is without doubt my most effective quickie cleaning tool.

• cheerful1_gw
    15 years ago

I cleaned my white fiberglass slop sink (I think that's what it's called) that the washing machine hose dumps the water into. It got out all the dirt and rings and it positively glows!

I also used it with floor cleaner to clean my vinyl floor. It got out dirt that my regular mops didn't even make a dent in.

I'm sold!

• cciaffone
    15 years ago

On the Cookware forum it was suggested (!) that I use
    the Magic Eraser to eradicate the burned on sludge around
    the heating element underneath my electric skillet.
    The magic was, it just polished the sludge -- did not
    erase it. Oh well...

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

My porcelain tub was stained on the bottom and I couldn't get it clean. After reading this thread I decided to see if the Magic Eraser would clean it. I tried a small spot first to check it and it worked! My tub looks so much better now.

It also cleaned the inside glass of my oven that had gotten splattered.

• sewwhatsnew
    15 years ago

Magic erasers are NEW to me, I bought a couple, and then
    threw them out when they didn't seem soapy anymore. I figured it was cheaper to buy Mr Clean with Fabreze liquid instead of sponge. I didn't realize you use the sponge up completely, until it falls into pieces?? No more good smells?? Just a sponge performing magic, or do you continue to dip it in Mr. CLean liquid. I've never been a sponge girl , so I didn't quite understand the hoopla...I'll buy a couple more and try it again. Do you prefer the white side???

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Just a sponge performing magic, or do you continue to dip it in Mr. CLean liquid.

The cleaning product is contained in the sponge. You don't add anything but water to it.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

There is no cleaning product in the sponge. Its unique texture is what performs the cleaning magic.

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

People! Read the instructions!! As I said further up this thread.

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is a very fine abrasive pad. It does NOT have any cleaning product like a soap or detergent in it. It doesn't need any. You MUST wet it for it to be effective. You can use it until the tiny pieces are too small to hold. Get it wet absolutely, but don't dip it cleaning solutions.

It is not meant to perfume your house.

Seriously, if you can't spend 2 minutes to read about how to use it, you deserve to lose the money you spent on it.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

They have come out with versions of the Magic Eraser with "Febreze Freshness", and I know that they had one that contained some kind of soap, but the ones that I have always used (and I feel are the best) are the plain Magic Erasers that are made out of melamine foam. It is the texture of this foam that provides the cleaning magic. And mary c is right - it is important to read the directions for any cleaning product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on melamine foam

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I find the Magic Eraser more effective than any liquid and especially Mr. Clean liquid cleaners!

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

My absolute favorite use for the ME is to clean the textured handles on my refrigerator.

Some paint can handle the ME, some can't (like the paint on the walls of my current home)

I use the ME to clean my shower. I figure if I do a wall at a time (while I'm in there anyway), it won't take long, and I can keep up with it. Once in a while (ok, maybe after I've been slacking on my maintenance cleaning) I use another cleaner, but I don't really see much difference between the two. I have wondered if it's a good idea to use them on the glass doors. I do it anyway. There is that last little layer of water spots I just can't get off the doors, so I figure the ME can't be scratching it, or if it is, I won't know it until I decide I want to try some nasty chemical stuff to get the water spots off. I don't use it so much on shiny metal things though. (I read the box ages ago but don't have one right now)

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

IF the light shines just right on any wood or painted surface you will see the scratches.

They clean like magic..I agree, but they are damaging. There are some surfaces that they will not damage. Still, I won't allow one in my home again.