Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing years of hard water stains off of aluminum?

Posted by Jessica_OH (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 04 at 12:13

When I moved into dh's house three years ago, his shower was the typical bachelor's shower. I have tried for three years to remove these hard water stains and have had no luck.

We have sliding shower stall doors. They are plastic/plexi glass type doors (think cheap) and the metal around them is probably aluminum. NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING I have tried has worked.

Can you give me anymore suggestions?? We are hoping to sell our house and there's no way I can show this room with the metal looking like that.

We are to the point of just replacing them and then using a towel to dry them off after each use. But this is costly.

ANY ideas??
TIA,
Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing years of hard water stains off of aluminum?

What HAVE you tried?

I don't want to suggest things you havew tried, and my mind-reading ability is poor today.

o

Sorry I should have put that in my original message. Thy fingers are faster than thy mind!! :)

Alright, I've tried, Bar Keeper's Friend, Comet, CLR, LIme Away, Vinegar, Clorox with Teflon, Anything meant to clean hard water stains.

Is there maybe an aluminum specific cleaner out there, maybe for outdoor furniture??? I'm so frustrated!!!

Thanks!!

o

Yes there is aluminum cleaner at hardware stores. I have never used it though.

o

Any acid-based cleaner like CLR, vinegar, or Lime Away should work. Since they did not, I wonder if you have something other than HW stains. Perhaps the Al is permanently etched/pitted and that is what you are seeing.

Just a thought.

Lynne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here