Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lov2garden

wand/mop to clean the OUTSIDE of the toilet?

lov2garden
16 years ago

I'd like a way to clean the outside of the toilet without having to get so upclose & personal with it. I've been trying to think of something with a wand or handle that could clean the curved surfaces almost like an ostrich feather duster does.

If you've solved this problem, please share!

Comments (11)

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    16 years ago

I don't mind getting close but my old back don't like bending down that far so I wrap those really tough paper towels about twice around an ordinary toilet brush and wash under and around and in the corners I have difficulty reaching.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

I posted this before, in a thread I initiated; Use one of those scrunchy nylon bath puffs that come on a handle. They get into any curved surface or corner. Spray the the outside of the toilet and scrub with one of these. All the water that runs to the floor will be mopped up when you do the floor right afterward.

These plastic scrunchy bath puffs for great for doing curved shower stalls and tubs. I wouldn't use the same one as I use for the toilet though. Get a different color for each job and don't mix them up.

• lov2garden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Before I read your post on the nylon net balls, I found what I was wishing for and have ordered it. I wlll report back but it's not supposed to arrive until the end of August. It's called a Toilet Bowl Swab but my idea is to save it to used on the outside of the toilet since that is where my problem is. Now we will have to see if it actually works. If anyone has already tried this gadget, please share your experiences.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toilet Bowl Swab

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Wow, I didn't even know they made something like that for bathroom cleaning and it is not outragously priced either. And here I was so proud of my bathing scrunchee on a handle idea, for cleaning. Some corporate conglomerate stole my idea! LOL. Thanks for posting the link. I like that one, as it has the squeegee cup with it. I am curious if it fits in a standard decorative toilet scrub holder? Let us know please.

• lov2garden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like your scrunchee net idea too since it will probably scrub better when needed.

There is a holder to fit the swab and now that you mention it, I should have ordered one since it would be a good place to hang it while it dries out. OK, you convinced me! I'll see if I can add to my order now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holder for the Swab

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Let us know how you like the Swab Brush. I read the description on the Fuller site and it says the swab is made from acrylic. I am picturing acrylic yarn and that does not seem like something that would remain clean looking and sanitary.

The scrunchee thing is non-porous and my pink one looks as good as the day I bought it. It even fits in my decorative, standard sized, ceramic toilet brush holder. I don't have a vanity to store things under the sink and do not want to have to run to the basement to retrieve a cleaning tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: My previous thread.

• bud_wi
    16 years ago

Here is one from LNT that looks like it is just made for cleaning the outside of a toilet:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2325474

Mine I use for the tub has a 'poufy' snowball end. I couldn't find a pic. I like the bright colors these have and they never look 'icky' and dirty.

Here is a bath brush that actually looks like a toilet scrub brush:

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=943518

• ntt_hou
    16 years ago

Hey-hey, you can use that to wash your back when bathing too :o) That is if you don't use the same one to clean the toilet too.

• Bluebird03_zoominternet_net
    12 years ago

I cannot get on my knees anymore to clean toilets. I tried bending over and messed up my back. I think the scrunchie idea is great!I just bought the Sudsy Scrubber by O Cedar...it's for doing dishes. It's a little sponge mop on a handle. And the handle is hollow so that you can put dish detergent in it. I plan to use it by dipping it in my bucket of sudsy water that I would use on the floor. It's a fairly small sponge, but I plan to give it a try. I clean houses, so I REALLY need something to help me reach behind the toilets and to clean the outside of the bowls.If that doesn't work, I will use the scrunchy nylon puff on a handle idea. I love this website!!!

• truthjc
    5 years ago

I can’t kneel anymore due to bad knees so I thought I’d get a long handle grabber, the kind handicap people use. My friend with MS has one. Anyway you can find them on Amazon. Not sure if I can post a link but will try, if removed just do a search on Amazon for “ long handle grabber“. You can use it to grab a wet/moist sponge sprayed with your preferred cleaner and clean the outside of the toilet, then you can bunch up a few paper towels to dry the outside of the toilet. Here’s a link: https://www.amazon.com/RMS-Rotating-Mobility-Extension-Wheelchair/dp/B00THEDNL8/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536133992&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=Long+handle+grabber&psc=1