Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning mold in bathtub/shower

Posted by solomongrundy (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 11:35

Moving out of my apt and my ex-roommate apparently did not do a good job of cleaning the tub/shower.

I had maids come over to clean the entire 2bd/2ba apt and I noticed what looked like two dark perpendicular lines in the left back corner of the tub. I asked one of the maids and she said that it was mold that was...I think she implied that it was in the "rubber" (for lack of the correct term). She said that if she scrubbed any harder, the rubber was going to come off.

I don't want to get charged for this when I finalize the move on Monday and was going to attempt to use something like 409 to see if that did anything.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning mold in bathtub/shower

Try bleach.

o

Is it clear calking that has become dark with mildew beneath it? If so you can't clean it from the top. Just pull it up and clean with bleach; let it dry well and replace the calking.

o

If the mold is behind the calking it won't come out no matter what you use. The only cure is to remove the calking and recalk.

You can try bleach and that might get it if it seeps behing the calking.

If this is an apartment though, I would just leave it. It is not a matter of not cleaning but of regular maintenence. Calking has to be replaced every few years no matter how well you clean. If this is all the landlord has to do he is getting off easy, so don't let him dock you

o

Dap Quik Seal does mold underneath & rather quickly too! It is pretty dry in CA. but molds anyway & I'm replacing it almost on yearly basis. Used to last a couple of yrs. Tried the more expensive gold label Quik Seal Plus & didn't notice any difference besides price! I use it as at least you can dig it out! DD has stuff that forms a plastic like impossible to remove line that also molds & can't be cleaned I went over it with the Dap Quik Seal, looks better. I imagine they took out something to "green it up" so reason it no longer works for very long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here