Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power washing vs. pressure washing

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 11:07

What's the difference between the two? We want to have our vinyl siding cleaned, but I heard that you shouldn't pressure wash it. Is it a do-it-yourself project, or should a professional do it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power washing vs. pressure washing

I think they are one and the same...
I would just get one of those hose end sprayers filled with a cleaning solution and use that to clean your vinyl siding.

o

Cheerful:

I recently bought a Karcher 1800 PSI 1.5 GPM Electric Pressure Washer at Lowes for $159. It is the greatest thing since the wheel. We have used it on everything from the siding to the side walks. You use it with or without a cleaning agent. If you do use one; Krud Kutter (also from Lowes) works well. The pressure washer is made for the home owner and easy to use. It even did a marvelous job on my picket fencing. I have a three year old set of vinyl wicker - love seat, two chairs and a table. They had become so dark and dinghy I was going to throw them out. After using the pressure washer the furniture is sparkling white again and good for a couple of more years.! That washer has paid for itself already.

o

Have you found that the pressure washer damages the siding or whatever? Do you have trouble with the water getting up between the boards pr shingles and into the walls?

o

Sheilajoyce

No we did not have a problem like that. The pressure washer we bought has a PSI of 1800. Commercial power washers PSI is 3000. These high powered pressure washers can cause a problem if they are not used by professionals. It is wise to use a detergent like Krud Kutter and let it sit for a few minutes to loosen the dirt. Then you will using less water for cleaning. I also used it for cleaning windows and it works great.

o

Are you still enamored by your Karcher 1800 psi pressure washer? We would use it only on our pavers.

o

changing the head on your power washer can eliminate some problems, and improve cleaning of some things.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cleaning Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here